does anyone remember

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Reader » Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:48 am

Okay...here's from a 53-year old!

I remember sitting in San Francisco's Marina District and marvelling at a very advanced computer setup on the desk of a guy who was a "marketing whiz." It was the DUAL-FLOPPY IBM XT!

Sure, I had played with Tandy's tape recorder driven offering, but didn't get too excited. This guy had the money to buy anything. He proudly told be how he had come up with the name for a new Texas computer company to market its wares: COMPAQ.

But my first real "hands-on" computer I could use for myself was an Osborne with a 5 inch monochrome screen and a whopping 10MB hard disk! A year later, I took the plunge:

Compaq Portable III (80286 12MHZ SCREAMER!)
40MB HDD
5.25 FDD
300 baud modem
640K RAM
Price: $5795.00

Later, for only another $650, I added 6.6MB of RAM to run a new program called Windows. It sucked. Nice graphics and you could change fonts, but you basically just opened one window at a time. Big deal. It was much slower than DOS.

I also added the expansion unit, VGA graphics and...get this...the XAFAX fax card that was capable of 1200 baud communications and sending faxes. It was a multiple step process of creating files, submitting them for conversion and then transmitting. You could send a WHOLE PAGE in only 2 minutes! The XAFAX card was only another $900.

I still had the Compaq when I first connected to the internet in London, England, using a service called Demon and some software from a ham radio operator. It was ALL DOS prompt.

I still have the Portable III here on a shelf, in its original case, in perfect condition. The HDD gave out so I put in a larger one but there was never a BIOS upgrade so you have to do a <Ctrl-Alt-Del> after the cold boot to get it up and running. Still runs WordPerfect 5.1 faster than I can load Word in a P4 1.7GHz with XP Pro.

I abandoned DOS and Windows for OS/2 v. 1.3, I think, and didn't give up my Warp V.4 until XP pro came along.

...ah, the memories!
reader
_ _ _____ _ _
"There we were, lost in the Wilds of Afghanistan without a corkscrew. Forced to live for days on nothing but food and water."

W.C. Fields
Reader
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Postby datektrader21 » Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:15 am

26? I don't think there is much to look forward to after 21. 19 if you live in Canada...

if you live in canada there is not much to look forward to after birth. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

im just kidding im sure there is lots to do in the american atic that is canada.

again just kiding... please don't hit me HJ
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Aibohphobia » Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:56 pm

Datek aren't you half canadian? :lol:
Go hang a salami; I'm a lasagna hog!
A man, a plan, a butt tub: anal Panama!
Goddam mad dog!
Aibohphobia
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:48 pm

datektrader21, your already on my list do0d. I am now underlining it. :twisted:
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby datektrader21 » Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:18 pm

half yes...which means i can make fun of them with no repercussions :P
Two muffins are baking in an oven. one muffin says to the other,"hey man its getting pretty hot in here" "Holy $%^!@#" the other muffin replys " A talking muffin!" MaximMAg
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:23 pm

I'll drink you under the table any day...

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby datektrader21 » Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:26 pm

bring it on ya canuck
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Jun 07, 2002 6:16 pm

I'll be down there this coming November on vacation (if I can raise the money in time) for COMDEX.
You, me and a few Molson Bubba's... :)
Unless you wanna do hard liquor...

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby datektrader21 » Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:07 pm

boy i will pound a beer faster than you can open one, as for your hard alcohal, the day you can drink a half gallon of winners cup you call me.
At 6 bucks a gallon for vodka its closer to gasoline than it is alcohal.makes absolute and grey goose taste like water.
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Previous

Return to The Water Cooler