My Smoking Experiment

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby SkReaP » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:23 am

You would not have to be concerned with quitting smoking, if you never start!!

It's never that easy. As awful as this may sound, some people really NEED to. 5 months ago I would have said much differently, but now that I've experienced it first hand, I can honestly say that I think some people just need to.

Even though it is poison, nicotine has effects on the body that can help certain people live better lives. I've recently realized that smoking is not a bad thing if you do it intellegently. Think of it like Hydocodine or Vicondin or any other really good pain killer. You shouldn't be on them 24/7. You take them when you need them, and they really help. Sometimes, your pain gets to the point where you can't think straight or function properly, so you dope up and mellow out - you still can't function your best, but you're definately better off.
In the case of cigarettes, sometimes you're really high strung or anxious, so you should have a smoke & chill out. You'll be a little stinky and lose a bit of stamina, but you're better off. The problem is that people nowadays don't like dealing with stress at all, no matter how minior, and think that their lives are as bad as it gets, so they're constantly lighting up. In the end, they get addicted JUST like those people who think they're in constant unbearable pain and can't go more than 30 minutes without being drugged up on painkillers.

Even though I despise the taste and smell of cigarettes, if I ever recover from the psychological effects of my experiment, I will smoke again. Not for habit, or that "only when I'm drinking" crap - when I really really need it. It'll get me high, calm me down, and I'll probably put the pack away for the rest of the year.

Which leads me to a question: a lot of you on these boards seem to be smokers. How did you get hooked? At what point did you become dependent on the buzz? I know I might have aggrivated some of you by comparing you to morphine addicts, but I really don't see how you go from a cig here & there to addicted unless you just greedy for the high.
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby SkReaP » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:27 pm

While I was smoking I would get high to the point that it felt like I had just had some big shots. Afterwards I felt fired up enough to take on the world. To me that is calming down because I went from
"Holy crap, it's only Wednesday?"
to
"Holy crap, which way is up?"
to
"Holy crap, I'm in the mood to do some work?"

Maybe "calm down" was a poor choice of words. Maybe "recharge" is what I was looking for. And it seems like NOBODY had any of the reactions to cigs that I did... I may have to conduct another experiment to see if other people will go through what did. Any non-smokers out there open minded enough to light up a few in the name of science? :roll:

And you didn't answer my question, Gem - if you never got the high, why did you smoke for 18 years?
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby trexntx » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:25 pm

Everybody that smokes, whether they remember it or not got a buzz off it the first time they truly smoked a cigarette properly. The second and third times too probably for most. Eventually, the body develops tolerance to the chemical procedure involved and although the 'buzz' is still there it is only really noticeable as the maintenance of the nicotine fix. At least that is my experience as a pack a day smoker for 20 years.

Having quit almost six years ago, I would probably go through the same nauseating experience that you detailed so well if I were to smoke just one.

Yuck... nasty things.

Somebody mentioned drinking from a soda that had butts in it. How about if a dipper had been using it for a spit can? 8O

I've seen it happen more than once...

One caused a fight. :lol:
Antec NeoHE 550
AMD 64 X2 4600+
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
Corsair XMS (2X512)
Maxtor SATA (2x300GB) RAID 0
trexntx
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby DAVE1 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:37 pm

Before I go on, you need to realize that I HATE smoking. My whole life I LIED to everyone - friends and family - and pretended to be alergic to nicotine. At bars, bowling alleys, and other smokey places, I would go the restrooms and put soap on my contacts to redden my eyes. I would pretend to sniffle and cough to make it look like I was having a real alergic reaction. I LOATHE cigarettes. I figured this gave me a one-up on everyone. I had more reason than anyone else to quit smoking once I got myself hooked, so I could test all the methods of quitting and maybe help my friends and family quit by giving them REAL advice, other than that which I had seen on TV.

why didn't you just say you hate smoking its not like any one is going to make you smoke

even if you can be allergic to nicotine i probally would have thought it was bullshit anyways
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby SkReaP » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:59 pm

DAVE185 wrote:why didn't you just say you hate smoking its not like any one is going to make you smoke

Because when I said to people "can we please not go bowling - I hate the smell of cigarettes," people would usually react by saying "Oh, grow up. It's not like we're making you smoke. Besides, it's heavily ventilated blah blah blah only a few hours blah blah..."

However if I said "Hey, I CAN'T go bowling because I'm allergic to nicotine," reactions were more along the lines of "really? wow. Ok - we'll do something else." Those like you who said "bullshit" were always convinced when my eyes went blood red, my cheeks and eyes puffed out, and I couldn't stop caughing. I'm not proud of it anymore, but I can fake ailments well enough that even the few who DID know I was faking would say "I thought you really did get hurt/get sick/fell/had an allergic reaction/passed out this time!"
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby HollowPoint69 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:01 pm

only that wacky green stuff.

:lol:

You're awesome man.
HollowPoint69

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:56 am

Quite a few of us started the smoking habit from it being part of the "trend" to be cool or with the "in" crowd. Or you were exposed to it daily, and when absent from the scene, you craved the effects of the condition.
With the cigarettes of years ago.. I'm talking pre-filter days.. the tobacco was more pure in its form, and more stimulating. Fewer "cancer sticks" had to be consumed, to effect the desired level of euphoria. Today's offings are chemically treated to remove most of the nicotine and other harmful substances, but the yeild of the euphoric sensation is now dependent on consuming more of the product. Nicotine is known to have beneficial effects on certain bodily ailments, as are other forms of plant matter in "smoked" form.
A large problem with smoking is that the product is heavily taxed, and states rely on the revenues from the product but yet encourage you to quit! Catch-22 in a major form!! Some states carry a price of $5.00 USD per pack, slightly less if purchased in carton form. At a pack a day, it equates to around $1800.00+ USD per person.. quite more, if you smoke more than that amount!! Cigars are normally not taxed in the same ratio.. being half or less the cost of cigarettes. Military Service personnel can purchase smoking products at close to the retailer's price, from base outlets.. without the added taxation, which may triple the original price. Anyone remember when certain brands were only $.50 per pack!?!?!!?
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby SkReaP » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:26 pm

hmm....I'm actually becoming more sceptical of the actual "addiction factor" of cigarettes...

You say that you crave the effects when you weren't smoking. Hell, I crave the effects too - but I know for DAMN sure that I'm not addicted to them. Just because you really want to do something, that doesn't necessarily constitute an addiction, does it?

because of my schedule and my love of driving (or dare I say...ADDICTION... to driving) I haven't been good and drunk for a long long LONG LONG time, and I have a bottle of Goldschlagger and some Puerto Rican Rum in my .......

OK WTF????

holy $%^!@#

Must evac building now - I'll finish this when I get home
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler