My Smoking Experiment

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Ghen » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:04 pm

That was a great story, much worse reaction than my first time.. I had smoked for a day at a time during boy scouts no less. That was at about 13-14.. A couple years later we went on a week long canoing trip down the Delaware River. I bought a couple packs at the beginning and decided to smoke like a fiend. Same reason as you, just with better results. The buzz came on plenty but I would equate a cigarrette to one beer if you're a virgin at both.. Not .10 BAC

I didn't smoke as much as people actually addicted do, I got through both packs in a week and that was it. Still, at the end it was hard to eat food or go to sleep without smoking something, but I was too much of a coward to try and go buy more so it was actually pretty easy to quit. It was a good year or so though after that that I would smell cigarettes and get a small craving.

My experience definitely wasn't addiction, but it was about as close as I want to get :)
ImageImageImage
Ghen
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby trexntx » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:13 pm

SkReaP wrote:
evasive wrote:Yeah, well, there are people that actually smoke 2 packs inside 20 minutes and another 2 packs at their next cigarette break :lol:

Naaah, I'm kidding but I've seen them serial-smoking the entire pause.

I was smoking between 10 and 15 cigaettes a day. I quit nearly 1.5 years ago. Cold turkey.

There's a big difference between serial or chain smoking and what I did. Most chain smokers still take breaths in between puffs. I was inhaling large ammounts of nicotine smoke EVERY breath.

To anyone who smokes out there: have 2 cigarettes in a row without breathing clean air AT ALL from the moment you light up that first one, all the way until your burn your lips on the last one. I would love to know what the hell happened to me 3 days ago. See if you get similar effects. Was I just suffering from nicotine poisoning because I don't usually smoke, or was I suffering from smoke inhalation? I've never used drugs before, but I'm pretty damn sure that's what an OD feels like.

What do you think smoke inhalation is? :wink:

You were feeling the effects of nicotine and any other toxins from the cigs that built up in your body.

When I was a HS senior, the textbook we had for a health class stated that if one were to extract the pure nicotine from a single cigarette and inject it into a horse, the horse would keel over and die. Nicotine is supposed to be very poisonous, but because smokers take it into their bodies gradually they are not dosed with enough to kill them outright and a tolerance is developed.

I smoked for twenty years and quit cold turkey. It wasn't exactly easy, but it wasn't nearly as difficult for me as some people experience. The bottom line is that you have to want to quit to succeed.

I have no more smoker's morning cough and can take deep breaths now without hacking. I feel better, enjoy food even more, and my wallet thanks me every day. :wink:
Antec NeoHE 550
AMD 64 X2 4600+
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
Corsair XMS (2X512)
Maxtor SATA (2x300GB) RAID 0
trexntx
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Ghen » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:31 pm

trexntx wrote:my wallet thanks me every day. :wink:

Thats my #2 reason for not smoking, but only slightly behind not dying :lol:

Side note: My grandpa died at 54 from lung cancer.. The last 4 or so years of his life were pretty much hell too so thats my main reason.
ImageImageImage
Ghen
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby DAVE1 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:11 pm

Ghen wrote:
trexntx wrote:my wallet thanks me every day. :wink:

Thats my #2 reason for not smoking, but only slightly behind not dying :lol:

Side note: My grandpa died at 54 from lung cancer.. The last 4 or so years of his life were pretty much hell too so thats my main reason.

ya thats one of my reasons for not smoking and that ciggarettes are @#$! disgusting
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby SkReaP » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:39 pm

If what you all are saying is true, then my experiment should be titled "can you commit suicide with cigarettes."

I submit a vote of yes.

I had no idea nicotine was so toxic. I thought it was like more like caffine than it was alcohol. I can drink a 24 pack of Mountain Dew in a day and feel fine. Hell, I used to take caffine pills with Mountain Dew, and then chew caffine gum (I'm a raging insomniac). I figured cigs would be the same way.

...damn - I would have made some interesting headlines...
"Alleged Non-smoker dies at 22 from nicotine overdose"
SkReaP
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Pette Broad » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:46 pm

Which leads me to my next point: why is it legal to smoke while you drive?

Some European countries are looking at this, Germany and Denmark are 2 I know of.

Pete
Pette Broad
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Rabidwerewolf » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:17 pm

I smoke cigars and pipe tobacco. If you smoke a few big, good cigars in a row, it will definitly give you a rush...which as pointed out....is from the nicotine poisoning. One's body does become more and more tolerate of the nicotine the more you smoke over time so to get that same feeling you would have to take in larger doses of nicotine.

In answer to your question, can you commit suicide with cigarettes I would say yes and no. You would have to really take in alot of nicotine in a short period of time which I don't think would be humanly possible by just smoking tobacco products, but it has been shown to contribute to one's demise over time so that is a yes. I only smoke a pipe or a cigar here and there and not every day so I don't consider myself addicted as I have gone without tobacco for months at a time with no ill effects. Every person is different, and it would seem SkReap, you are really sensitive to the effects of nicotine and the other chemicals in cigarette smoke. I don't seem to be as sensitive. I never even coughed or got a "high" feeling when I smoked my first cigarette or cigar. I had to smoke several to get that feeling.
Rabidwerewolf
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Tulatin » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:31 pm

Good ole SkreaP and your crazy ass experiments... i'm pretty much like you though - can't smoke, just hate the taste and makes me choke up. Bothers my throat and just @#$! with my lungs too much so that i can't breathe properly. This after 18 years of second hand.
Tulatin
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:09 am

Suggest one never starts.............
Last edited by c327 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:30 am

Dopamine is a potent "high" experience for the brain, and is triggered by the nicotine in tobacco. Otherwise, it is generated as required by the body, in smaller amounts.
The common cigarette is more than just tobacco.. it includes a paper wrapper, and other ingredients to enhance the burning aspect, plus flavoring additives.. and perhaps propylene gylcol to preserve a certain moisture content. The filter is cellulose, a plant protien.

Regular cigars and pipe tobacco are under different rules.. no artificial substances are permitted, if defined as pipe or cigar products.

I have smoked for more than 50 years, and gave up on the "coffin nail" type of cigarettes over 30 years ago.. due to becoming nauseous from the product, and from the "stains" on my fingers! Not to mention the price of the product! 8O 8O
I tried the patches and pills, but none worked to quell the desire to smoke. I still smoke to this day, but I have switched to the "little cigars" variety, which are pure tobacco.. no additives! I sometimes enjoy a "regular" cigar, or some types of pipe tobacco. For pleasure, only. I average a pack of 20 small cigars per day, or less.. depending on my activities. When doing yard work, I am less inclined to smoke. No finger stains present!!
A recent chest x-ray shows no lesions or clouding. No smoker's cough, either. Long walks or hikes are not a strain. Not bad for being almost 66 years, but not smoking is safer than any smoking.
Chewing tobacco can have some nasty effects, as well.
Sometimes, it is heredity that makes you more susceptible to cancerous growths than other people.

You would not have to be concerned with quitting smoking, if you never start!!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler