Poll: The best humankind advancement..

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

What is the most significan advancement to humankind?

electricity
53%
refrigeration
No votes
internal combustion engines
7%
housing construction methods
No votes
education
13%
computing
7%
heating/cooling systems
No votes
medical research
10%
other
10%

Total votes : 30

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:55 am

And the winner is.. chris754 !!

Although all the choices were leading candidates for the greatest advances we have made toward better living and other means, pure water supplies and sanitary waste disposal were the most significant achievement we have made in several hundred years. Surface water may be highly contaminated with fecal matter, and other noxious chemicals. Even so, back many ages ago! Sanitary waste disposal of human excrement is a very significant achievement! Too bad that some trains still use a "dumper" as a rest-room in certain cars! Same for ocean liners and aircraft. Adding chemical sterilizers to the effluents aren't always positive.
As was done for several eons, farmers used the animal manure as fertilizer for their fields. The crops were healthier, and produced better crops. Then man-made fertilizers came into vogue. Bad idea for some of the products. The old idea is still the best, and is now known as "organic" farming!!

All the results were significant, and the "diversities" were interesting! But "sex" was invented before Adam and Eve! :lol:
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby greytrains » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:08 am

That may be but I would still have to say medical research. If it were not due to modern medicine I would not be here right now, since I had pneumonia at 2 weeks of age.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Gerald Ford (1913 - 2006)
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:52 pm

I agree with the guy in "Day after Tommorrow" and I would have to say that Written Word is mankinds greatest achievement. Being able to communicate thoughts and ideas accurately to another person may not seem like much, but its at the core of everything.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Rabidwerewolf » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:57 pm

I'd have to agree with the written word and language. I wonder how much we as the human race lost in the fire that burned the Great Library in Alexandria in terms of both history and knowledge......how far that set us back. How much was lost by word of mouth until the written word was first used? I agree with Junkie, it is the very core of communication.

Of the modern era, I would have to think the computer is the greatest human advancement. Look at what it has enabled us to achieve and advance in leaps and bounds over the last decade.
Rabidwerewolf
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby ThEvil0nE » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:07 pm

It's got to be DIET. Eat this, don't eat that, prepare it like this, prepare it like that, blah blah blah, etc etc etc, it's so advance I don't know what to eat anymore. :lol:
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:32 am

All the thoughts were very good, and inclusive to what has made for a better life-style. We had powered vehicles long before gasoline was invented, mainly steam from wood- or coal-fired engines. We used water power to grind grist and saw wood for lumber. We had tamed the horses and other animals for "domestic" needs. Older medical trials were sometimes based on hearsay (bloodletting), sometimes on founded facts (herbal cures). We found that by melting sand, we could create glass! That is one of the most significant advances made, over a simple hole in the wall to see out! It was found that by grinding and polishing glass to a special form, it could magify images, and the invention of microscopes was a cause to looking into the "unseen" realms of life. Life-threatening microbes and bacteria were found in water and effluents! By boiling the matter, or adding chlorine, the evil agents were removed.
Looms were devised, to create clothing instead of using animal skins, sewn together with gut lacing. By combining two common ingredients, we created gunpowder to propel a missile for protection and food securing.. the firearm. Far superior to the slings and shafts we previously used.
The discovery that by heating coal or other organic matter, a gas was produced which could provide lighting and warmth. It was known that foods kept in 'root cellars' were edible for long past their normal times. Ice kept in tight, insulated cases also extended use-times of food products. Carbide provided gas for the lights on steam engines, the main power for our early transportation. Leyden, Hertz, Faraday, Marconi, Bell and others developed the form of early electric usages. It just evolved into what we use today. The earliest gasoline autos date back to the late 1700s.
True, most discoveries and advances led to other discoveries and advances in other fields. Some would not have evolved, without the use of other discoveries or inventions.
The single most important advance we have made, over centuries, was the protection of our pure drinking water. Most textbooks and research criteria illuminate this factor.
This was just a poll to indicate what people think are "significant" advances, which we use today, or which were considered important. Sometimes, the most basic of advances is the most significant.

Thanks to all who gave input and insight to the thought. Hope it was enlightening to all. More thoughts are appreciated!

..Karl.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby EmilyB » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:35 am

ThEvil0nE wrote:It's got to be DIET. Eat this, don't eat that, prepare it like this, prepare it like that, blah blah blah, etc etc etc, it's so advance I don't know what to eat anymore. :lol:

Seefood :wink:
EmilyB

Postby ThEvil0nE » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:02 am

EmilyB wrote:
ThEvil0nE wrote:It's got to be DIET. Eat this, don't eat that, prepare it like this, prepare it like that, blah blah blah, etc etc etc, it's so advance I don't know what to eat anymore. :lol:

Seefood :wink:

Are you kidding me??? That's the only thing that hasn't changed in my diet....

SUSHI ANYONE!!!!!

:mb_hungry:: Image :mb_hungry::

oooops... :mb_offtopic:: sorry :oops:
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby trexntx » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:24 am

Karlsweldt wrote:And the winner is.. chris754 !!

Although all the choices were leading candidates for the greatest advances we have made toward better living and other means, pure water supplies and sanitary waste disposal were the most significant achievement we have made in several hundred years. Surface water may be highly contaminated with fecal matter, and other noxious chemicals. Even so, back many ages ago! Sanitary waste disposal of human excrement is a very significant achievement! Too bad that some trains still use a "dumper" as a rest-room in certain cars! Same for ocean liners and aircraft. Adding chemical sterilizers to the effluents aren't always positive.
As was done for several eons, farmers used the animal manure as fertilizer for their fields. The crops were healthier, and produced better crops. Then man-made fertilizers came into vogue. Bad idea for some of the products. The old idea is still the best, and is now known as "organic" farming!!

All the results were significant, and the "diversities" were interesting! But "sex" was invented before Adam and Eve! :lol:

Didn't notice that one on the list. :wink:
Antec NeoHE 550
AMD 64 X2 4600+
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
Corsair XMS (2X512)
Maxtor SATA (2x300GB) RAID 0
trexntx
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby ThEvil0nE » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:41 am

I guess advancements in water and sanitary disposal has not hit Long Island, NY still. I'm in no way close to drinking tap water in LI. :o
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler