Health Insurance Woes

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby DAVE1 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:39 pm

can't you sue if they don't pay ?
Join team 33258 today!!
DAVE1
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Myth » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:07 pm

You said the insurance company is going to pay for it right? When they do get the hospital to write a letter stating that the bill has been "paid in full". Make sure it's on their letterhead and all official looking and signed. Get a copy of your credit report and include a copy of this letter with an explination of what happened. Return it to the credit agency that sent you your report. Within a month (or so) you should see the event has been deleted from your report.
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Beast100 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:11 pm

I live in Canada, so the process is probably a little different here. Your main concern other than payment to the hospital is your credit rating, which is most important. You may want to visit your local credit reporting agency and get a copy of your credit report and see what it shows. I would suggest one now and one say a month after the bill has been paid. I would also be telling the manager from the insurance company to contact the hospital explaining why they haven't paid, preferably with you sitting in the chair across from him. A letter from them addressed to the hospital confirming this would be helpful also. I'm guessing you have dated documents to show claims etc have been submitted so you have recourse. If payment is not made promptly from that point, I guess legal assistance would be the way to go, as stated above. Depending on your financial situation, you may be able to get legal assistance from a law school, or preferable a legal assistant who moonlights on the side?
Personally, if they continued to drag their feet, I would be suing the insurance company for their arrogance, and the hospital for the stress of it all. I hope it turns out positive.
Beast100
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby The Dom » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:25 pm

I will assume you have seen a credit report with the black mark on it. If not, then do so now. Some collection agencies will threaten you with this, but don't actually follow thru. If it is there, then get a letter from the insurance company stating they will pay the bill and take it yourself to the credit bureau and hospital and tell both to remove the black mark.
Don't rely on the insurance company to do anything. Dealing with hospitals and insurance companies is the hardest part of the healing process :cry: Just wait till you got medicare and try dealing with the government. :evil:
Dell xps 410, Vista, 4 gig mem,8800gtx, e6600
68 year old gamer enjoying life

Never have children, only grandchildren. ~Gore Vidal
The Dom
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby greytrains » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:04 am

It sounds like once this is taken care off it is time for you to find some new insurance.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
Gerald Ford (1913 - 2006)
greytrains
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ThEvil0nE » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:37 am

greytrains wrote:It sounds like once this is taken care off it is time for you to find some new insurance.

now that would be categorized as "pre-existing" on the new policy and would be a bigger headache, don't you think?

My wifey and I on the other have had no problems with blue shield/blue cross (thank God for that and good health) :lol:
Image Image
ThEvil0nE
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:59 am

An old pitfall.. the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, or two people sitting across from each other don't talk! The insurance company has a responsibilty to pay its promised benefits, but they will hedge until the "last minute" on most large claims, to assure they are legitimate. In the interim, the hospital will multiple-bill both you and your insurance company, in an attempt to collect the service fees. No complaint there, but there is a failure of communications, when the person issuing the billing statements doesn't add a "wait and see" flag to the patient's records, when a reputable insurance ID is presented. The fault lies with the hospital staff, and they must rectify the problem, and clear your record!
Sending a "registered-return reciept required" letter to the hospital bookeeping department, and to the insurance company about your credit status "error", should induce some corrective action. This was a situation that should not have occured, and you should not be subject to a black mark. An attorney's letterhead is quite convincing. It would be worth-while to have an attorney involved in this matter. It could be inferred as defamation of character!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to The Water Cooler