Micro Men.

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

jcn
Green Belt
Green Belt

Micro Men.

Post by jcn »

Anybody who's interested in the evolution of the home computer must see this!

Last week, The BBC, in the UK showed "Micro Men" on BBC 4 TV. It may be available in other countries that show BBC programs.

It's the story of Clive Sinclair and Chris Curry: Founders of Sinclair (various companies) and Acorn Computers respectively. Apart from the computer story, it's very entertaining. Clive is portrayed as a "funny" character, although he may not agree LOL.
It's based on the true events of the eighties but some of it is made up to create the story.

I'm not going to write any spoilers, but the final closing shots are brilliant, please note the details on the lorry's.

BTW. I would be very interested to know what countries are able to watch BBC programs. Please post if you are not in the UK and tell me what you can watch.

You can watch "Micro Men" now in the UK at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00n5b92/Micro_Men/
ASUS P4S8X motherboard.
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz Northwood.
3GB DDR.
Gigabyte ATI Radeon R9700 PRO Graphics Accelerator.
USB Modem for BB.
Maxtor 80GB hard drive.
52x CD ROM Drive.
Floppy Drive.
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
PSU, 420 W, P4.
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by fussnfeathers »

We can get BBC America here, if I wanted to pay extra (on top of the extra I already pay) for digital channels. I don't recall that the Beeb broadcasts UK shows outside of the UK, though. Maybe parts of Canada, but nowhere in the US that I'm aware of. If it gets popular enough, it'll hit BBC America, or at least Netflix so I could rent it.

You might want to track down "Pirates of Silicon Valley" if you've never seen it. Not particularly funny, but very well done.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
jcn
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by jcn »

fussnfeathers wrote:We can get BBC America here, if I wanted to pay extra (on top of the extra I already pay) for digital channels. I don't recall that the Beeb broadcasts UK shows outside of the UK, though. Maybe parts of Canada, but nowhere in the US that I'm aware of. If it gets popular enough, it'll hit BBC America, or at least Netflix so I could rent it.

You might want to track down "Pirates of Silicon Valley" if you've never seen it. Not particularly funny, but very well done.

Hi fussnfeathers,

Thanks for the info. :D

Just searched for Pirates of Silicon Valley, I see Dr Carter (ER) is in it. Might get the DVD.

The second part of the series, after Micro Men, is about Robert Noyce, founder on Intel. Must see that.

I'm a fan of formula 1, and often, during race coverage, they say that they are broadcasting to many countries as regards to the commentary. They never say which. :?
ASUS P4S8X motherboard.
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz Northwood.
3GB DDR.
Gigabyte ATI Radeon R9700 PRO Graphics Accelerator.
USB Modem for BB.
Maxtor 80GB hard drive.
52x CD ROM Drive.
Floppy Drive.
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
PSU, 420 W, P4.
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by fussnfeathers »

Some international sporting events get broadcast here, but usually through an affiliate channel. We get Formula 1 here on Speed Network, who buys their broadcast rights from the country or network originally broadcasting. Other times, shows like Dr Who get purchased by SciFi (for example) and air a month behind you guys. As far as what we get, though, kinda depends on popularity and price. Too expensive and not enough viewers watching the ads, then we don't get the show........even though we pay for TV to begin with, not like the old days before cable TV.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Karlsweldt »

I do get BBC America on my BUD (Big Ugly Dish) satellite system. Satellite C3, Tr700 (digital). Some very good programming, but also some very droll.
Google has several links for Micro Men if you wish to browse. BBC iPlayer in all schools? (UK only!)
[email protected] to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!