PBS Strikes Again

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

PBS Strikes Again

Postby tedybear » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:33 pm

Well once again I settle down with my sweetheart on the sofa to kick back and see how "This Old House" and "Ask This Old House" are doing. There's only a small handfull of shows I actually enjoy, and of course..the 'do it yourself' we both enjoy.

So as we are sitting there, first thing we see is a guy with a bad toupe' whining about "We need money" blah blah blah.... I know full well how PBS works and about becoming a member (used to do that in CT for a time)

At any rate..we sit down and get ready to see how the team is coming along on the lastest project. CANCELLED AGAIN!! It amazes me that everytime they beg for money for programming? They deep-six the programs my family actually WATCHES?!?!? Only to dredge up their "special programming" that seems to be targetting people over 85 years old...poor moronic people that need "self help" (Good ol' Dr. Dryer) (I really don't care if I spell his name wrong) That bud's got his same 4-6 hour "self help" "leacture" going into repeats AGAIN AND AGAIN.. It's on several times this month, and they keep deep-sixing the shows I enjoy to make room for it.

Case example (and I'm sorry if this offends anyone that likes the groups I'm mentioning) Blowing the dust off of relics such as "The Lemon sisters", "Peter, Paul & Mary", "laurence Wreck...err..Welk", and countless others that were extreamly good "back in the day"... Here's the rub...The people begging for the money always say "Pledge to keep quality programming like THIS" And what happens? You ONLY see this bunch of dusty ol' preformers DURING the pledge drives???

Here's the part that really frosted my flakes... A few months ago one of the longest running Sci-Fi shows came on..and they were begging for support. Quite a few people called in and donated to keep the show running. Next week? It was CANCELLED?!?!? Can't even find any PBS stations that carry it anylonger. Now my question? What did the station do with all that money people pledged and sent in? Did the station refund the money back to them? Could the station be sued for false pretense?

I would'ent mind an "diversion" to different programming while doing the drives, provided it was'ent the same ol' crap they always dredge up..same exact shows...same dusty old preformers that can't get a job elsewhere.. It's not even anything new??? It's the same garbage they have used the last 4 pledge drives?

Well..that's enough out of me...Just wish they would stick with normal programming...maybe set aside a few hours on a friday or saturday night as a "highlight showcase" where all this stuff could be placed...and not have to endure having the shows I do watch, get the chop EVERY time they beg for money.

S-
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Myth » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:29 pm

I'm sorry to hear that your PBS station is so lame. Where I live we have 2 PBS stations. Since they have to compete with each other for funding the shows they put on are pretty cool. One station will run marathons of Dr. Who, Red Green and Red Dwarf. Only sad part is I've seen all the Red Dwarf episodes several times.
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:34 pm

:wink: Sorry to hear about your show,

I used to watch a painting show on my local PBS the
Irish painter "Frank Clark"

That show was actually good, it was show to teach you how to paint..

The methods he used were easy to understand, and informative, but I think
the show has been cancelled.. :(

The only other show(s) I have watched on my local PBS was the two DOO-WOP specials they aired and the final special performance
of "CATS" with the original cast in the Winter Garder Theater...

Other than that, I dont what PBS :lol: :lol:
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:01 am

Myth wrote:I'm sorry to hear that your PBS station is so lame. Where I live we have 2 PBS stations. Since they have to compete with each other for funding the shows they put on are pretty cool. One station will run marathons of Dr. Who, Red Green and Red Dwarf. Only sad part is I've seen all the Red Dwarf episodes several times.

Red Dwarf made 7 or 8 seasons but only a handful each season...
I don't watch PBS up here either. Its just crap. I'd be surprised if they had anything I liked...
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Rabidwerewolf » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:22 am

Myth wrote:I'm sorry to hear that your PBS station is so lame. Where I live we have 2 PBS stations. Since they have to compete with each other for funding the shows they put on are pretty cool. One station will run marathons of Dr. Who, Red Green and Red Dwarf. Only sad part is I've seen all the Red Dwarf episodes several times.

PBS used to run Dr. Who here but no more. :cry: :cry:
Rabidwerewolf
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby trexntx » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:07 am

Bummer.

Our local has been pretty good. As a matter of fact, they had an awesome program on last night that I wish I had watched. Hopefully they will repeat it.

Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival with an unbelieveable line-up of supreme guitar players.

Doesn't really matter if they repeat it though. I think I will get the DVD anyway. :wink:
Antec NeoHE 550
AMD 64 X2 4600+
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
Corsair XMS (2X512)
Maxtor SATA (2x300GB) RAID 0
trexntx
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby tedybear » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:17 am

Dr. Who was the program we got the shaft over. They came out, people dressed up in the costumes trying to get anyone to fork over some money.. Many people did to about 3,500 I believe or thereabouts...The goal was $6500 for the year's programming...so they where 1/2 there. Next week comes about? Canned for some lame a$$ local programing setup to "boost" travel around Syracuse. The show was in production for a while...so it left a lot of people wondering "Did they plan on bulking people out of money, just to take it..and can the show regardless of the outcome?"

Hopefully the people that pledged the $$ waited to send it in for about a week or so...that way they would have figured out it was already planned to be cancelled...and they did'nt get screwed to badly.

I really would'ent mind if they setup a few hours over the weekend or something as a "showcase" area. They seem to have repeats every Saturday of the Lawrence Wreck show (over and over and over) But why cancell out shows people like..to re-run and blow the dust off of preformers? Do it in a "showcase" area and leave it at that? Heck...they repeat the heck out of these shows for the entire month...back to 'normal' and then parade 'em out again next time they want $$? As for the Self help guy? Once or twice a month is almost acceptable...but not 5-10 times at 4+ hours a pop...If you need that much help? CHECK INTO A MENTAL HOSPITAL

S
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby sloopdog 1 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:48 pm

yeah the pbs "beg-a-thons"suck.they should limit the time spent begging to shorter spans.
No keyboard detected-Press any key to continue.
sloopdog 1
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby tedybear » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:20 pm

Sounds like the Painting show staring "Pappy" the painter LOL....ghess I'm old.

Picture Popeye teaching painting....

S-
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Next

Return to The Water Cooler