how many forum members does it take to change a light bulb?

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby ATrebeau » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:21 pm

Hardware Junkie wrote:Not sure why it was detached.

Detaching one's self from others defeats the whole purpose of "how many forum members..." because obviously that is a t..e..a..m effort. I know I would feel lonely having to change all the lightbulbs around here by myself. Sure, I could talk to someone on the cellphone while doing the task or take short breaks and use the laptop to cam with someone but it wouldn't be the same fulfilling experience as doing it with other forum members in the flesh.
AMD 940 | Abit AN78GS | 4GB GSkill 1066| EVGA 9800 GTX+ SC | Corsair VX550 | Sunbeam CCC | Antec 300

i7-980X | GA-X58-USB3 (rev. 1.0) | Corsair D GT DDR3-2000 6GB | MSI GTX 480 | Corsair 750W | True Black | CM Storm Sniper
ATrebeau
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Toby B. » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:47 pm

ATrebeau wrote:
Hardware Junkie wrote:Not sure why it was detached.

Detaching one's self from others defeats the whole purpose of "how many forum members..." because obviously that is a t..e..a..m effort. I know I would feel lonely having to change all the lightbulbs around here by myself. Sure, I could talk to someone on the cellphone while doing the task or take short breaks and use the laptop to cam with someone but it wouldn't be the same fulfilling experience as doing it with other forum members in the flesh.
One person to detatch said topic. A team to ponder such action, And another person to perform a forum miracle to reattach it.. haha
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:40 am

Deep man, very deep
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:15 am

Hardware Junkie wrote:Deep man, very deep
haha
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Re: how many forum members does it take to change a light bu

Postby ataboy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:50 am

I hope this is the appropriate forum to post this question. I've plugged my light bulb USB key but there is a smell of plastic now. There is no indication of the maximum voltage on the key. My voltage here is 220V. Could that be the problem?
ataboy
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:36 pm

ataboy wrote:I hope this is the appropriate forum to post this question. I've plugged my light bulb USB key but there is a smell of plastic now. There is no indication of the maximum voltage on the key. My voltage here is 220V. Could that be the problem?

That LED USB bulb will use only 5 volts DC from the socket. If it draws more than 1/2 amp or 500 mA, then it may overload the traces on that port.. causing melted insulation on the mobo! The overheated coating will emit similar odors as plastic.
Your local "household" voltage should have no matter of concern, unless you connect a device that is marked for ONLY 120 volts or less. Many newer power adapters have an auto-sense to properly connect from 105 volts to 240 volts, 50~60 Hz. Older ones will have a label noting their limits!

Shamefully, many devices are marketed for USB port power.. and well out of range of the original intent.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ATrebeau » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Hardware Junkie wrote:Deep man, very deep

Quite...and it gets deeper, yet.

I've been working with local underground utility guru's
(distant disorganized offshoot group of the first Humphry Davy Illumination Culmination)
to gain a better understanding of the Bulb. Together, we are
re-discovering our original untapped connection and potential with it.

Through that connection, we strive for better sync with man, nature,
the spiritual plane, and the Bulb.

It is not an easy path we follow, there is often temptation to use the
Bulb and what we have learned from it, to use it to control humankind.

But we have great fortitude and dedication to the Bulb and ultimately,
would never let that happen. Our goal is to one day become one with
the Bulb and live in illuminated harmony, together.

AMD 940 | Abit AN78GS | 4GB GSkill 1066| EVGA 9800 GTX+ SC | Corsair VX550 | Sunbeam CCC | Antec 300

i7-980X | GA-X58-USB3 (rev. 1.0) | Corsair D GT DDR3-2000 6GB | MSI GTX 480 | Corsair 750W | True Black | CM Storm Sniper
ATrebeau
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:25 am

Karlsweldt wrote:
ataboy wrote:I hope this is the appropriate forum to post this question. I've plugged my light bulb USB key but there is a smell of plastic now. There is no indication of the maximum voltage on the key. My voltage here is 220V. Could that be the problem?

That LED USB bulb will use only 5 volts DC from the socket. If it draws more than 1/2 amp or 500 mA, then it may overload the traces on that port.. causing melted insulation on the mobo! The overheated coating will emit similar odors as plastic.
Your local "household" voltage should have no matter of concern, unless you connect a device that is marked for ONLY 120 volts or less. Many newer power adapters have an auto-sense to properly connect from 105 volts to 240 volts, 50~60 Hz. Older ones will have a label noting their limits!

Shamefully, many devices are marketed for USB port power.. and well out of range of the original intent.

The question as such is already funny but to see an actual factual answer to that question is even better... :)
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ataboy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:58 am

I was surprised myself. My next question on a computer forum will be to ask whether someone as measured some savings by removing the power cord of their computer and feeding it only thu the battery of the wireless mouse, via the wireless adapter and its usb port.
ataboy
Initiate
Initiate

Postby AmEv » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:27 pm

Hmmmmm.......

Power a whole computer from a WIRELESS mouse. How did you manage that?

Don't answer that.

Google "geda vx690hd".
You'll lighten up and laugh at the fail of a spam.
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler