So I swung by the Goodwill today...

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

So I swung by the Goodwill today...

Postby Pechorin » Wed May 15, 2002 7:52 pm

On my way home from work I decided to make my weekly visit to the meca that is the Goodwill (it becomes an addiction, believe me).

I was perusing the electronics isle when something caught my eye. There laying bare in a box of cables, was a motherboard. Now, I'm used to seeing the occasional 486 or even P100 mobo laying around but this was a bonafied atx mobo.

I pulled it out and the thing had been trashed. Along the edge were bare leads that once held on capacitors and there was a crack running through the board near the pci slots as if someone pushed WAY too hard trying to install ther nic.

Well the board turns out to be some pcchips oem POS but instantly the fact that the heatsink was still attached caught my eye. There was a bare heatsink over the cpu socket (the fan was removed). Almost instantly the keys came out of the pocket to unclamp the heatsink and see what goodies were underneath.

Low and behold, there in the socket of some delapidated board sat an AMD Athlon 1.0 ghz /200!! The core was in perfect condition and the dye didn't appeard discolored. I quickley found the price of the board, $2.99.

I got home, put my new treasure (the Tbird, not the mobo) in an AK31a I'm building for my nephew and the damn thing posted--first boot!!!

So my day was good, I got an Athlon 1.0 for under three bucks and the Mariners won.
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
--Nelsen Mandela
Pechorin
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby datektrader21 » Wed May 15, 2002 8:12 pm

nice, im gonna go to the goodwill and see whats up :lol:
datektrader21
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Pechorin » Wed May 15, 2002 10:25 pm

dont get your hopes too high. This tbird, a 300 watt deer atx psu and a 15 inch magnavox svga monitor, and about 6 used keyboards are my only great finds in the last year. Of course, i didn't pay more than $10.00 for all of those combined.
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
--Nelsen Mandela
Pechorin
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tolemac » Thu May 16, 2002 1:55 am

I too make the rounds of the GoodWill, Savers, and a couple of other thrift stores and non-franchise pawn shops. Lots of interesting things to find! Can't beat yours, though Pechorin, as it is the best I've heard for computer equipment. 8)
Tolemac
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Tau » Mon May 20, 2002 1:18 pm

Hey
Just spent an hour and a half fixing a problem Pc for a pal and he gives me a brand new 40G HDD as payment Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm ATA III

Boooooooootiful

:D :D :D

Tau[/i]
Tau.

"Learn from other people's mistakes, it's quicker."

Tau
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby len444 » Tue May 21, 2002 5:14 pm

:arrow: :!: is it an ataIII or ataIV? how about doing some sandra benchmarks on it. i recently got a seagate ataIV that i partitioned w/ 4 equal partitions, and formatted w/ fat32, and i actually got faster readings from the second partition- just over 27000, whereas the first was just under 27000- wonder if they have adjusted the density so that the speed is more even between partitions (faster rotational speed due to the larger diameter of the first partition, but faster second gets me to wonder about density variation, or other?!)?!??! just curious about getting some other drives to compare w/ as uniformity of product is desireable!
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Tau » Wed May 22, 2002 2:02 am

Len
I must say the difference between this drive and a normal 5400rpm drive is quite noticable, Prog seem to load that bit faster.
As for benchmarking it would be a futile exercise as my board anly supports ATA33 so the drive is not being used to its full potential.
I have just loaded Windows XP onto it and i must say this new O/S impresses me no end. The only software i have found it does not like is Easy CD Creator 4, version 5 Platinum was not much better as it doesnt support my Mitsumi CD Burner but Nero does. After all the hassle of getting a copy of Nero i then find out Win XP has its own burning software DOH ! :(
I have also found that Win XP also accepts my early version of Family tree maker (Version 4).
Also installed
Office XP
Ancestry
Win ace
Win DVD
Norton Anti virus
Paint shop Pro 7

Will keep you informed as and when i load new software.

Tau.
Tau.

"Learn from other people's mistakes, it's quicker."

Tau
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Toby B. » Fri Jun 14, 2002 10:51 pm

Well as a fulltime employee at Goodwill of NNE, I was able to get a PC now and then till we recieved a fax from corperate office saying NO MORE TV's OR COMPUTERS :roll: 8O -new classification - Hazardous waste.

Since I started there a little over a year ago I have seen some good starter systems (486's and a few pentium systems) and a lot of 286 and 386's. The dam idiots doing the processing of the donations seemed to have this philosiphy "I dont know how to use it - so its TRASH"

I wish that we were able to accept computers, but too many were going into the trash and cause of the new classification (not to mention the public's perception of Goodwill - Free legal dumping ground) no more accepted.

And one other outcomes of the "free legal dumping ground" image and the slash in jobs; Goodwill of Nothern New England has totally gotten rid of all of it's donation drop boxes.

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sat Jun 15, 2002 12:25 pm

Just make sure if you do get that stuff that it is recycled properly. The gold, for instance, can be extracted...
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:47 pm

Unfortunately, as much as I tell the other employees including my boss the issue with the hazardous waste classification of computer equipment and tv's is illegal dumping. This stuff is supposed to be recycled, not thrown in the dupster. These people that I work with do not want to listen, as they throw the stuff in the compactor instead of trying to sell it. :roll: Oh well, I am continuing to try and get it through their heads.

Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Return to The Water Cooler