I need help...web related

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

I need help...web related

Postby useless comment » Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:03 am

This may be super-simple or dead-impossible(I just have no idea):

I have an old Tripod site that I have completely lost access to. The site is still there with all the files but I cannot retrieve my forgotten password because I no longer have the email I used when I signed up. I could really care less about the site, the only thing I'm concerned with is retrieving all the photos that I had stored but never got around to using. So the pictures are all there but: I can't login to get them; I can't remember the file names to type them in manually at the address bar; I can't think of what to do.

Then I had the thought maybe their is some super awesome web guru code master hanging around these forums that could help me out somehow. Is there script solution to this problem? A little piece of HTML or Javascript that can find all the jpeg files in a directory that doesn't have an index?

The only thing that comes to my simple non-leet mind is a straight forward brute force script to try to come up with all the file names. I know that the jpegs file names are all lower case alphabetic(with no numerals or other symbols, spacec, etc.). The problem is that most of them are upwards of 10 or more letters so that could take a while and I'm still not quite sure how to go about writing it correctly.

Does anyone know of a better way to do this or if there even is another way to do this? Oh yeah, Tripod hasn't responded to anything I've sent them. Any help for the down trodden sodsm live? If for some reason you don't want to post this in the open, feel free to email me with a possible solution. Thanks.
useless comment
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Toby B. » Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:40 am

So I take it you did not save your login info. If you cant remeber that info you are basically SOL............Think man.....Think!!!
Toby
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby useless comment » Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:08 pm

It's not my fault man, there was a great fire, a flood, locusts, viruses, cannibalistic harddrive, my printer wouldn't work, my arm was broke and couldn't write, my dog ate it, it was shredded by mistake, it was abducted, absconded, snatched, snaked, pilfered, pulverized, pillaged, pultrooned, partitioned(?), permanently placed in Info-Limbo, I've been carjacked on the information superhighway.

I guess I'm gonna go for the javascript way I mentioned before, I just have to get my brain around the loops and algorithms that will produce everything from 'a' to somewhere around 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzz'. Let's see, that comes to 64,509,974,703,297,150,976 possible combinations. Once I figure out how to get that into a variable I'll just need a quick way to check to see if the file exists without just displaying them all on a page(that would probably crash IE or at least make it crawl for a couple of days). I need a code boy!
useless comment
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:10 pm

Look for a program called Getright. It has a browser function that can scan the directory for the files and should be able to download them.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby useless comment » Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:58 pm

Thanks HJ but no go. I'm gonna keep at it.
useless comment
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to The Water Cooler