I'm really rather disappointed....

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

I'm really rather disappointed....

Postby Mr T » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:29 am

As per above title.. Working on another 'bricked' Samsung galaxy (odd how its always Samsung phones that brick themselves) and it never ceases to amaze me how propriatary Android is to specific phones.. This means that you can have a phone from another region and you require different firmware (Android) to run it... Don't get me wrong, Android has come a long way, but these days with the choice of phones, surely a single operating system wil suffice - just look at PC's, really very few issues when it comes to hardware (I know there is some, but usually it is quite easy to ge round).. I think all these electronic giants are ripping consumers off by forcing hardware (and some expensive hardware) updates in a very short space of time just because some software won't work.. In fact I think the paranoid inside me thinks that they deliberately bork phones on tablets so you have to upgrade...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Re: I'm really rather disappointed....

Postby Roach412 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:42 pm

Mr T wrote:In fact I think the paranoid inside me thinks that they deliberately bork phones on tablets so you have to upgrade...

I strongly feel apple does this via software to their "old" versions of devices. they have more and more compounding issues after they have dropped off mainstream usage from my experience. their hardware should not cause so many issues and instability with very basic updates to their base OS.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: I'm really rather disappointed....

Postby Mr T » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:12 pm

My 6 year old ipad one (yes '1') is still functioning to quite a high level using certain apps.. Great for a quick look at Fing to work out network addresses or Oookla speedtest.. Apple has tried to kill it by making the most popular apps like Facebook (Faceache), Twitter (Sh****r), Whatsapp (C**p) not work on it. As I don't use them it makes no diiference to me.. In fact I have revived a 2012 AmazonHD Tablet by sideloading Google store..

And

Back on track, I am still trying to 'unbrick' the Samsung Galaxy S6 (read all about the update to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow) as they plainly don't want you to dare roll back the operating system..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to The Water Cooler