Document Scanners

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Document Scanners

Postby c327 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:32 am

Have been interested in document scanning and a year or so ago looked at the Neat Machine. At the time I noticed that hospitals, doctors offices and others were using a Fujitsu document scanner but at the time I don't think Fujitsu made one for home use since the software was different. Today other makers are now making these document scanners for home and small business use including Fujitsu.

The Fujitsu although cost a good deal more it seems to have the best reviews and ratings. The wife has a year old HP Windows 10 Home x64 that has an i5 2.2 cpu that is just under the recommended minimum computer requirements (i5 2.5 ). I am told it will still work but may be a little slower ? I will be using the USB 3.0 interface

My questions and interest is in filing and backing up all that is scanned. The wife's PC should be OK for storage but has a platter type 5400 rpm HDD. My options for back up would be either an external HDD like I use for our main PC use or the cloud which I don't have or use and know nothing much about it other than what I read about security issues.

If I used the cloud would I need to store scanned files on the computer? Can I scan directly to the cloud and if so would it be automatically backed up there?

What would be the best file format for a SSD as used on a Windows 10 Pro x64 NTFS or FAT 32 ?

What would folks here suggest regarding home use document scanning, filing and back-up. I intend on keeping the original paper file of all important official documents.

Thanks.....Mark
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Document Scanners

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:51 pm

The FAT32 format is not as efficient as the NTFS format, and has restrictions for partition size. Maximum is 32 GB for FAT32.
Yes, you can buy a commercial-grade scanner or printer for home use. It may outlive you, but how long to recoup the cost, and is its toner or ink more expensive? For the average home use, a combo machine that does printing, scanning, fax and copying would be a better bet. Laser printers are the fastest, and budget friendly. Ink jet printers come in as most popular and least expensive as to cost and inks. The celluloid film (dye transfer) printers are the most expensive, and slowest.
For use in business or medical facilities, a scanner or printer has to be more durable for the use it will see. Some scanners are 'one-touch' as to ensuring a copy is the same as the original, not lighter or darker. And there are the legal-size documents that a lot of scanners cannot work with, unless passed through a roller slot. Best method of copying any document is to a PDF file, a universal format.
As to that i5 2.2 cpu versus the i5 2.5 cpu, you really won't notice the speed difference, unless copying quality images. Any document should scan and store in the same few seconds.
For backup and storage, I would consider a NAS setup, or a USB external drive. Secure, and always at your call. Any storage in 'the cloud' means you need a Web or WiFi link to access. And 'the cloud' security.. really big score for some hacker?
Any images or documents scanned are first stored on your PC, then uplinked to 'the cloud' or other storage entity.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:11 am

Karlsweldt wrote:The FAT32 format is not as efficient as the NTFS format, and has restrictions for partition size. Maximum is 32 GB for FAT32.
Yes, you can buy a commercial-grade scanner or printer for home use. It may outlive you, but how long to recoup the cost, and is its toner or ink more expensive? For the average home use, a combo machine that does printing, scanning, fax and copying would be a better bet. Laser printers are the fastest, and budget friendly. Ink jet printers come in as most popular and least expensive as to cost and inks. The celluloid film (dye transfer) printers are the most expensive, and slowest.
For use in business or medical facilities, a scanner or printer has to be more durable for the use it will see. Some scanners are 'one-touch' as to ensuring a copy is the same as the original, not lighter or darker. And there are the legal-size documents that a lot of scanners cannot work with, unless passed through a roller slot. Best method of copying any document is to a PDF file, a universal format.
As to that i5 2.2 cpu versus the i5 2.5 cpu, you really won't notice the speed difference, unless copying quality images. Any document should scan and store in the same few seconds.
For backup and storage, I would consider a NAS setup, or a USB external drive. Secure, and always at your call. Any storage in 'the cloud' means you need a Web or WiFi link to access. And 'the cloud' security.. really big score for some hacker?
Any images or documents scanned are first stored on your PC, then uplinked to 'the cloud' or other storage entity.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Not talking about a computer scanner like an all in one. I was talking about a document scanner like a Neat Machine but one made by Fujitsu model ix500.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:45 am

Had a look at that ix500. Lots of bells and whistles, wireless, expensive for a single-purpose machine.
But seems to have a "soul" of its own, an on-board processing system. Designed for multiple connections.
Just drop the document into it, done. But can it do business cards, laminated driver license or med card scans?
If desk or shelf space is available, maybe a good item to have. Yet the average home doesn't have that extra space.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:27 pm

If you consideration is to have a backup of the documents in case of fire or other nature's disasters, keeping that in the cloud would be more logic (off-premises).

As for the scanner, I think you basically are looking for a scanner with ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) and a piece of software to manage the scanned stuff. The ix500 seems to fit that indeed. For any odd sizes you might simply want to take a picture of them with your smartphone as the camera in that these days is more than good enough for that purpose.

And at a 11,5 x 6,2 x 6,6 inch size, you should be able to fit that anywhere too.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to The Water Cooler