Qs RE torrent tracker's URLs

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Qs RE torrent tracker's URLs

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:50 pm

I sometimes manually add trackers to my torrents, in the belief it will speed them up. No, I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but it makes me feel better. I get lists of 'recommended' trackers from strangers on the Interwebs who 'look' trustworthy.

Along the way, a couple of questions have arisen. Like, are these two URLs essentially the same thing, meaning it's pointless to use them both?

udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80
udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80/announce

And what about the tracker "tracker.ccc.de"? I know those guys are supposed to be the root of all evil in the modern Internet, but If I add it to a torrent's list, it only times out.

What really got me curious was that I tried nslookup-ing it with several DNS services, and they all resolved it to 127.0.0.1. So I dug around some more and found (allegedly) a legit IP address, which I added to my hosts file. So now it resolves their domain name to something other than localhost.

But it hasn't fixed the timeout problem in uTorrent. So I traceroute-ed it. It gets as far a Germany and then servers stop responding before it reaches the destination. Which tells me that at least my ISP isn't blocking the UTMP to that address, nor is anyone else this side of the Atlantic.

I can get to the top level domain just fine, ccc.de, but not tracker.ccc.de. So I was curious if anyone might know what was up with these guys. Not that I'm desperate to use their service, just curious why ICANN or the Illuminati or whoever are conspiring to isolate their tracker servers.
-- Campy

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:28 am

"Torrent" and "bit torrent" are bad words around here. Not really a good service, as some outfits handle illicit data. And with their routing, it may run through up to 20 "ports" before termination. Harder to trace the originating IP.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BrevCampagnolo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Yeah, torrenting has an image problem but it is a highly efficient method for transmitting large files, and is becoming the preferred distribution method for a lot of "legitimate" files. I've been dowloading Leenuks disc images via bittorrent for years. And torrenting now is taking over streaming video.

I finally found a (recent) reference that said CCC decommissioned their torrent tracker a year or so ago. I had searched for that info on a number of occasions and finally just stumbled across this reference when I wasn't looking. Go figure. It's still pretty bizarre that numerous DNS services resolve that hostname to localhost.
-- Campy

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949
BrevCampagnolo
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Return to The Water Cooler