What to do revive these forums?

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

What to do revive these forums?

Postby Comp_parter » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:50 am

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to revive these forums?

Seems as if a lot of people have lost interest. I admit, I was a very sporadic poster but I did enjoy reading all of the posts that everyone used to throw up here.

I have seen the tech of tomorrow website, no forums. I am assuming that there is a whole lot of work involved with administering these forums. Is that a possible reason why there is none on that site?

It just seems like this place has kinda been left to fade away. Hope that isn't the case.

Just sayin,,
Comp_parter
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby evasive » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:17 am

The other thing that needs to be done is blow up every smartphone/tablet/laptop/ultrabook/netbook factory on the planet. Computing has shifted away from desktop computing in a pace that nobody held possible...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:34 am

evasive wrote:Computing has shifted away from desktop computing in a pace that nobody held possible...

And all those hand-held devices are NOT user-serviceable! Nor can you add any other hardware to them, modify or upgrade them! Yes, a lot of apps for them.. but it is a "micro-device" world now. If you have a wi-fi 'hot spot', you can access almost any Web site. But the majority of the populace is too fascinated with socializing to be concerned with a "hands-on" remnant of the older computing age. Yes, laptops are still favored.. but they too are a class of no "add-on" hardware or modifications.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Comp_parter » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:38 pm

It does seem that mobile devices are taking over. My wife is addicted to her phone. I have a crackberry but that's as far as I go with that. It's just too easy to fire up a laptop and sit in your recliner and view whatever you want. We use Hulu Plus along with Amazon Prime. Those are awesome services for pretty cheap.

Facebook addict as well. But I do miss the lively conversations that occurred in the forums and boy did I learn a lot. I like to think I made a contribution or two as well. Has anyone ever considered a Facebook page creation and allowing our members to join.. Has there ever been any talk about that? Does everyone have access to Facebook to make that possible?
I know there are people out there that are not fans of Facebook. Thoughts?
Comp_parter
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Copper » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:15 am

I build the odd gamming PC every now and then. I refurb laptops. I have a blackberry to receive my emails on. I use a laptop at home, but if im out and about I use a 8inch tablet. I even use my tablet to program my tv cable box , and as a remote for my smart tv and my blue ray SRS from my arm chair. the battle was lost when xbox, sony PS(X) became all singing all dancing consoles
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:48 am

I personally barely build PCs anymore. Just dish out Dell and HP business machines to the masses. They break, I get warrantied parts. Its the way things are now. Gone are the days of the DIY mostly..
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Comp_parter » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:58 pm

DIY seems like it is going by the wayside. I will continue to build our home computers just because I love to do it.

It's hard to keep up with big manufacturers. I always built the desktops for the company that I used to work for. It was a preference of mine to put the hardware together load the operating system and then just the software that we needed. It made sense for us. Not every company is willing to let someone do that.

So that means less IT staffs and more out of the box dells and hps and the like.

Then I guess that means less talk in the forums. :roll:
Comp_parter
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:05 am

Not sure it means less IT staff, just less simple hardware issues. I just replace the PC with a spare and rebuild the old one. Usually warranty parts.
I did ask to order a power supply for a custom build, but its old and just for spare purposes.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:58 am

It's not the forums.......It's the things that are taking the place of desk-top computers which are just about dead and buried. If this cloud thingy takes a grip there will be no need for a user to really require any real computing power for general use.

Not much a user can do to a smart phone or tablet and very little to a lappy. My 2 yr old build desktop is Intel with an i7 cpu and my Sager lappy is of the same quality and power but do I really need all that..........NO.

Already sold one of my builds $$$ for next to nothing and it wasn't even Christmas time. Soon I will be joining the crowd with an Apple iphone 5s and will probably retire this current desktop pc and stay with my 5 yr old good quality Sager lappy.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: What to do revive these forums?

Postby c327 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Comp_parter wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to revive these forums?

Seems as if a lot of people have lost interest. I admit, I was a very sporadic poster but I did enjoy reading all of the posts that everyone used to throw up here.

I have seen the tech of tomorrow website, no forums. I am assuming that there is a whole lot of work involved with administering these forums. Is that a possible reason why there is none on that site?

It just seems like this place has kinda been left to fade away. Hope that isn't the case.

Just sayin,,

Yes Girls............
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to The Water Cooler