The end of the desktop...

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

The end of the desktop...

Postby Mr T » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:06 pm

Looks like Intel are ending desktop motherboard manufacturing:

One Article

Once one starts, the rest will follow...!
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby evasive » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:56 pm

We have seen others go before. The worrying thing is no new kids on the block for desktop boards recently. The last big addition was Zotac, not seen any new players after that, correct me if I'm wrong.

Some other opinions about where the desktop is going:
http://www.retail-digital.com/retail_te ... t-dead-yet
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:38 am

Your going to see requests for them for the forseable future. Too many businesses depend on the platform.
You just may not see as many custom boxes anymore.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:52 am

A possibility the "desktop" system may shrink its market use somewhat in a few years. But may not become totally obsolete. Yes, 'smart phones' and hand-held tablets are faster and better than they were, years ago.. but still cannot match the full spectrum of use that a 'desktop' system has.
Yet if Intel drops its motherboard line for desktop systems, other companies will fill the void.
Some day many years in the future, when we have "super" smart phones the size of a deck of cards, with power to work more than 8 hours at a clip, will the 'monster' on a desktop be obsolete! Currently, most server setups are changing to rack-mount units that use specialized motherboards.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby rascard2007 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:20 pm

I think that Desktops still have a long way to go as the most proven technology in computers world and the most ergonomic also, all the oddies are unconfortables for the 8 hrs office use.
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
rascard2007
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:36 am

If the "evolution" comes to be that a desktop computer goes out of style, replaced by "smart" hand-held devices, their screen is too small for practical use. We will still need large monitors to properly view files and images. A "docking station" would become mandatory, accepting several versions of "smart" phones and such.
But here a problem arises.. do you take your "system" home with you at the end of a work day, and just copy your work to "the cloud" for others to access? Or will you need a cloned duplicate device for personal use?
A lot of companies now do "farming out" of their processes.. people work at home, with a secure Internet connection to their employer. Saves travel time and expenses. And lessens the environmental impact of pollution. But your social life is now a void!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:20 pm

I think what also happens is we see a large part of the people getting a tablet with limited functionality because they didn't need a full desktop in the first place... So many management types fall into this category it isn't even funny...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:13 am

All too many people have become "data addicts" and feel lost unless they have an Internet connection.. wherever! Tablets and smart phones do keep us connected, almost everywhere. Many newer vehicles now have a docking station in the dash, so you can be "connected" via satellite almost anywhere you go. This does have a safety aspect. In an emergency you will be "pinged" within perhaps 100 feet or so. But inversely, your activities may be tracked by anyone who wants to know your habits!!
Some major cities are installing Wi-Fi setups at street corners.. and the "public" telephone may soon disappear!
Some small-business people now use hand-held smart phone device dongles to scan credit cards instead of a POS sale unit on the counter. The customer scribbles a name on the screen, and the transaction is done! But the more we use Ethereal communications, the more crowded the frequency bands become. And more "fish" for the hackers to find!
Being "connected" with the digital age is nice in some ways.. but "too much information" can be posted without using common sense and judgement.
Sci-Fi flicks depict a time when we will have bodily embedded communications devices.. sort of an "Android" scenario. Just look at someone, "tune in" and know all about them!! Hope that day does not come. But evolution.. be it with genetic or electronic mutation.. cannot be avoided.
Myself, I prefer a bit of solitude. A few larger, older desktop computers fill my needs.. hard-wired! I have a decent laptop for when needed afield, but it is seldom used. And I don't seek out "hot spots" to be a groupie.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby dc3 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:29 am

There are those who will be able to afford the newest and "best" and will make the purchase just to "keep up with the Joneses". But there will be those that will invest in the new technology in order to keep abreast of the changing platforms.

But there will always be people like me that will use my existing computer until it is no longer compatible with the current operating systems or can live with the lack of manufacturer support (Microsoft).

Any one want some PC-100 RAM? :o
dc3
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:41 am

Not unless it is EDO :wink: or even FPM. And I take 30pin SIMMs only, thank you... If you want to shine in that department ask for DIP to go from 256kB to the full 640kB...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to The Water Cooler