meh..taking a tech break

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

meh..taking a tech break

Postby fussnfeathers » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:52 pm

Probably just overload, but I'm a bit burned out on all the new stuff hitting, all the old stuff breaking, wash, rinse repeat. Spent some time on a landline with a friend down in Florida, and it was so nice to not have to wait for a typed response in some chat program or another.

Hey, Karl, am I getting old? :P
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: meh..taking a tech break

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:02 pm

fussnfeathers wrote:am I getting old? :P

Quite sure you and I (plus all other 'creatures') are getting old! :lol: :lol:
I am probably in the "2.0%" group of oldest members on this Forum.. not a complaint or a brag! Experience of life gives us more intelligence than a library full of books can.. they are only a guide.
Regardless of the field of life, be it agriculture, animal husbandry, mining, atomic fusion or whatever.. there are daily advances. Some are gradual, some totally new. But still improvement over what was.. in most instances.
Yet for some of us, the 'data overload' can take its toll on our sanity! At that point, it is best we "head for the hills" to a simpler daily routine! Then we come back refreshed, ready to ingest new developments.
The modern form of communication is texting.. but the default is via vocal conversation, be it in person or via telephone. Instant satisfaction!!! PDT_Armataz_01_01
And the conversation can reveal those personal traits of good/bad "vibrations", where texting is just bland!
Nothing beats a 'get together' gathering of friends, be it just a back yard buffet or longer visit to relatives.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:48 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Nothing beats a 'get together' gathering of friends, be it just a back yard buffet or longer visit to relatives.

Second that fully. That one is valid for all ages btw...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby fussnfeathers » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:13 pm

It's not just about instant gratification.....it's about the other two part of language: inflection and body language. I can type something here totally innocent, but another member could take it the wrong way, and leave, simply because they couldn't see me talking, if you get what I mean.

And I do miss our get-togethers with friends down in CT. Those were priceless.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:51 am

For maybe 80% or more of the population, a cell phone or "Bluetooth" in the ear is a constant sight in public.. and people are talking to themselves.. or some 'invisible' companion!! And the proliferation of "pads" is also widespread, with people more intent on what is on that tiny image screen than what possible dangers lie ahead of them. Most school-age children can be seen with a cell phone "glued" to an ear.. for what reason?
Yes, we need to stay abreast of events.. but for 100% of our daily routine?
There are some TV ads depicting diners having to call their friend across the table, to get their attention!! That is a bit too extreme!
Texting via cell phone is a bad idea, especially if you don't have a full QWERTY keyboard.. or are operating a vehicle!
Yes, technology is great, and helps make a better life for us. BUT let us keep it in proper perspective to other more important processes.
If the trend continues, we may lose the ability to communicate directly with another person.. without use of a cell phone! But by that point in time, we may have evolved to where we can communicate by telekinesis instead of vocally! That could mean a critical overload of "hearing voices in your head" constantly!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby 8bitbubsy » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:06 am

Karlsweldt wrote:
fussnfeathers wrote:am I getting old? :P

Quite sure you and I (plus all other 'creatures') are getting old! :lol: :lol:
I am probably in the "2.0%" group of oldest members on this Forum.. not a complaint or a brag! Experience of life gives us more intelligence than a library full of books can.. they are only a guide.
Regardless of the field of life, be it agriculture, animal husbandry, mining, atomic fusion or whatever.. there are daily advances. Some are gradual, some totally new. But still improvement over what was.. in most instances.
Yet for some of us, the 'data overload' can take its toll on our sanity! At that point, it is best we "head for the hills" to a simpler daily routine! Then we come back refreshed, ready to ingest new developments.
The modern form of communication is texting.. but the default is via vocal conversation, be it in person or via telephone. Instant satisfaction!!! PDT_Armataz_01_01
And the conversation can reveal those personal traits of good/bad "vibrations", where texting is just bland!
Nothing beats a 'get together' gathering of friends, be it just a back yard buffet or longer visit to relatives.

This is some really good advice, Karlsweldt! :thumbright:
I've not been into a midlife-crisis or anything like that (I'm young), but I've been through several "hobby depressions" or whatever you'd call it. It works to find some other hobby to tinker with over time. When you get fed up with that or feel that it's time for a change again, you might be surprised how much you have been missing your original hobby. It might even be more entertaining than ever, like a little reload. :D
8bitbubsy
Initiate
Initiate

Return to The Water Cooler