How do I set my thermostat?

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

How do I set my thermostat?

Postby hunter1801 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:37 pm

Had no idea what forum to post this in, so I'll just throw it here.

My thermostat settings have always confused me. It's not one of the newer ones with any sort of digital display. It's one of those where it just has the numbers (degrees) along the top, and there are 2 sliders (blue one on the left, red one on the right).

I have no idea what these are supposed to represent. I can only assume the following:
If the blue bar is on 60, does that mean that the air conditioning turns OFF then?
If the red is on 70, does the heater turn OFF there?

This is the only picture that I could find which most closely resembles the unit. Except at the top instead of 2 separate sections, it is just 1 long row and the 2 sliders can move next to each other.
http://www.christianbrothersac.com/files/13/
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:24 am

Many types of thermostats.. from the "simple" to "complex". Most older ones rely on a mercury blob in a tube that tilts from a thermal spring to activate the heating/cooling features. Most old models are single-purpose, for heating or cooling only. But your model may be the "day/night" version, with one control for daytime comfort and the other for nighttime comfort. Likely there is a small clock mechanism inside, which switches the functions. Or it could be for heating and cooling control.
Almost all older thermostat models had an "anticipator" circuit that created a bit of heat on the thermal spring to shut down the furnace a bit early, so that residual heat could be sent to the living area. This avoided the "too hot/too cold" ranges otherwise. The thermostats commonly use a 24 volt AC source for controls.. and if yours has a clock motor, it would use that voltage. Some models did have internal "AA" batteries.
The Honeywell name is one of the top brands in thermostats.. with a long line of different models. There are other brands as well. http://www.ehow.com/facts_5569572_types ... stats.html
Modern thermostats are digital, and can change settings up to four times daily, seven days per week. They will work on older furnace wiring with no problem.
Leaving a thermostat at average 69° all-day can waste heat energy when no one is home. Setting the temperature back to 65° or so would save a lot of fuel energy.. and pay back the cost of modern thermostats quickly!
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hunter1801 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:56 am

Well there is a wheel inside I can set for timings, but we normaly just set it manually (well, what we assume is setting it manually) by selecting "heat" or "air conditioning" and then adjusting the top sliders like mentioned above.

Unfortunately, the model number is worn off and all I can make out is that it is the "pro heat" series from Honeywell. Couldn't find anything on their site that resembled the one we have though.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:46 pm

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Appl ... px#maincol

So, unscrew it from the wall and check the sticker on the back.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hunter1801 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:18 pm

evasive wrote:http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Applications/FindYourModelNumber.aspx#maincol

So, unscrew it from the wall and check the sticker on the back.

Already saw that and tried it. Nothing on the back. Only numbers are inside the unit and they don't pertain to anything it seems.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby evasive » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:13 am

post or PM those numbers and I'll go on the hunt for ya. Not even a sticker on the inside of the front housing? Nothing printed on the back either?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:34 am

If no stick-on tag, then the model numbers should be on the back, starting with the letters " T, TH, RTH, C, or CT" plus a few numbers.. likely molded in, or printed on.
Having a 'red' and a 'blue' lever would indicate a heating/cooling thermostat, and there would be another lever to select between the functions.
But if yours has a dial inside for settings, showing hours, then it would likely be a "setback" thermostat.. so you can lower temps at prescribed times.
Most likely, your model has a wall-mounted back plate, with the terminals for the control wires there. The front part should come off easily, held on by plastic tabs. Be careful with old plastic.. it snaps easily! Likely there are five leads on that back plate.. three for control function, two for power.
This link will help identify the wire functions.
As when working on other home wiring, turn off the breaker to those circuits when working on wires.. you don't want to cause damage to the components, or get a nasty shock. Or cause an unexpected start to a furnace or other device!!
Here is a tip about old thermostats.. they collect dust inside, which can throw off the calibration. Use a soft small paint brush to clean off any exposed mechanical parts. And be very gentle with a small glass tube with silver "liquid" inside. That is mercury, a hazardous material.
Back in the mid-1900s, we used to roll mercury in our hands.. and coat coins with it.. sometimes mouthing them!
Too bad we didn't know then what we know now! PDT_Armataz_01_02
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to The Water Cooler