IPOD & MP3 Players

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

IPOD & MP3 Players

Postby c327 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:22 pm

Want to get a good quality PMP (Portable Music Player) like an IPOD or an MP3. I am not interested in video. the more I read about the differences between the two (Apple vs the others) the more confused I am.

I want to be able to download music and put it on my PC and or the portable music devise and then be able to listen to it on either of them.

Don't really want to get into proprietary software etc. but want to be able to play it through my car radio via blue tooth or either an IPOD or MP3 connection.

A touch screen I think would be a good feature to have. What should I consider for what I want to do ???? What is the best way to go and the best to buy??

Thanks all..........
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby hunter1801 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:02 pm

I would just get an ipod. I have the 32gig ipod touch. I have all my music on that, my computer (iTunes) and I can play it in my car.

You'll only get into a debate with other people that say iPods suck if you are an audiophile. Many people hate iTunes itself for different reasons (Can't play FLAC files) and therefore won't use an iPod. If you get really picky you can find things wrong I'm sure, but for most people it's completely fine and you will never find something to really complain about and make you wish you didn't buy the ipod.

I want to be able to download music and put it on my PC and or the portable music devise and then be able to listen to it on either of them.

Your requirements aren't very demanding. Pretty much any mp3 player out there can do all of this.

What are you confused by? You mentioned you have done some reading on different ones. What are your concerns about buying an iPod?

The ONLY complaint I have about my ipod, may not even be my ipods fault. Music quality on my computer through itunes is great, but when I play it in my car it is noticeably not as good. It might just be my car stereos fault though. I bought it when I got my ipod because my old stereo didn't support mp3 players. Maybe the stereo itself just sucks.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby fussnfeathers » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:51 am

if iTunes is the hangup, try MediaMonkey. Free or paid (free one has a few limitartions, but nothing earth-shattering), syncs withall iPods, AND plays FLAC,as well as most other lossless files.
Faster than the speed of snot

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night
fussnfeathers
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby hunter1801 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:46 am

Ya that's usually the first one people go to if iTunes isn't their thing. Never tried it myself though.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Mr T » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Yeah, I am with hunter101 on this, I use an Ipod,Ipad and Iphone... Does it for me... If you don't want your music downloads proprietary , use Amazon, store them on your hard drive on their own (I use a USB hard drive for this) and use itunes to stick them on... I haven't tried the others, never had a need too.. FLAC and other file types, I've never needed to use, just MP3 and WMA...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby thomas_w_bowman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:08 am

If you're making your own MP3 files (from, perhaps WMA or WAV ?) there is a compression factor that I find has an effect on the quality of the sound. Some players (perhaps computers) decompress the higher compression to satisfactory quality or perhaps are equalized to compensate. Of course, higher compression makes for smaller files (more tunes can fit into smaller memory space), but the less compressed - the better the sound quality.

You may find some very inexpensive MP3 players (probably not from Apple, although the software on the Ipods is well developed), capacity is one simple factor that you might consider, also when aquiring music, a lrager MP3 file may be less compressed (WAV has no compression and makes for huge files).

The IPOD itself isn't what might result in lower sound quality, but the compression will... My hearing measures 1/2 Db from 20 to beyond 24,000 Hz, so I am picky about sound quality and only favor medium or high compression for spoken voice, such as books read aloud, etc.

If you select a product without rechargable battery, just assure that the battery is standard enough to have spares easily on hand.

Even CD's restrict dynamic range (to about 95 Db) and frequency response (high end is only about 19,800 Hz). Nothing like good vinyl and triac tubes to get the analog quality to the best it can be... DVD's are somewhat better (about 135 Db dynamic range and better Freq range too).

Good idea to back up your tunes on a memory stick as suggested, in case of data loss...
Better living thru technology...
"Open the Pod Bay Doors, HAL..."
Join Folding team #: 33258
thomas_w_bowman
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Toby B. » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:50 am

About 6 months or so ago I was in a similar boat. I do a lot of walking and wanted to be able to listen to music while at home or on the go..

At the time of my purchase best buy had Ipod touches (32gig) for about $20US more then the older generation non touch units. I opted for the older generation non touch unit for the face I got more then 4x the space and dont need all the extra fancy bs that is on the touch models (which some require internet/phone plans).
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby hunter1801 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:36 pm

Toby B. wrote:I opted for the older generation non touch unit for the face I got more then 4x the space and dont need all the extra fancy bs that is on the touch models (which some require internet/phone plans).

No ipod touches require any form of internet/phone plan at all. Only iPhones do, but he isn't shopping for a phone, so he won't have to worry about that.

Actually all ipod touches come ready to go with wireless internet capabilities. So you can surf the web or download stuff if you are in range of a wireless connection. You don't have to pay for or buy anything extra. Then there is the camera, which also comes with the itouch.
hunter1801
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby c327 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:31 am

Thanks all for your opinions, suggestions and comments regarding my post. Not being knowledgable about this subject has me confused but after reading the comments has put me on a straighter path.

I have been to Bestbuy and saw what they had in IPOD's & other brand MP3's and yes the prices do vary quite a bit. This PMP is a belated Christmas gift for the my wife of 50 years come this February and don't want to make a costly error by buying the wrong thing and I also don't want to be chincy either.

It seems I am interested in either Samsung's or the IPOD,s touch screen players. There is a little difference in price between the two but that is not my concern.

I wish I knew a little more about this subject.

Thanks again and Happy New Year to everyone...... :mb_champagne::
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:23 am

Be cautious about buying any MP3 player with a "contract" that may have an 'exit clause' which could be expensive if you opt out early!
"Cutting your own" MP3 files is no problem, as long as the conversion program is good. But the DRM problem may arise with some models not accepting or playing certain selections.
Some MP3 providers charge a minimal fee for services and tunes acquired, others may charge too much.
http://mp3.about.com/od/digitalmusicdel ... stores.htm
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to The Water Cooler