BOO!!!

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

BOO!!!

Postby Myth » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:13 pm

Hi Peeps! Enlighten me. Who's done what to who? Why? and was I invited but it got lost in the mail?
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Mr T » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:54 pm

Well to me the forums are very, very, very quiet - more action in a morgue... I think the motherboards.org Facebook pages have taken off.. It is much the same on other forums that I visit... :( Couple that with life in general (Yes I am lucky I still have a job, albeit on a pay cut, but doing more (typical) along with the shop), more people buying tablets/netbooks/notebooks and a lot more people being tech savvy......
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Hardware Junkie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:03 am

Hey Myth.
I don't know if its more people being tech savvy - I think it has a lot to do with stuff being too easy to fix yourself, or simply replace if its broken.

Gone are the days of manuals and dip switches...

I spend most of my days fixing software related issues, rather then hardware.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby evasive » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:54 am

I recently chucked out 90% of all hardware, replacing my servers with one new box running vmware ESX and a bunch of virtuals. This is good for my power bill and maybe I can actually use my house as a place to live in instead of being a warehouse/storage area :o

Yes, not many people left building their own box and if they do, there's youtube vid's to assist them and lots of fora with helpful people even for newbies. I think we have been a fine example of how to run a forum, I guess our visitors have spread the word...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby AmEv » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:15 pm

Yes. This is an awesome site; I'm still loyal to y'all.

Just not as active as it once was.
I'm gonna get my new hardware. And my worklog here.
AmEv
Black Belt
Black Belt

Location: Wanting to be at these forums, but not as active as they

Postby Myth » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:50 am

Well... it's good to see some familiar faces still here. I swing by from time to time but mainly to see who's still around. Sorry I don't post all that often.

I would hook up on FB but ... well.... I like being "myth". I hate switching between accounts on FB. Besides... this is the place that I know and love.

At some point I need to build something newer. I've been nursing the pathetic machines I have on hand. I keep being handed computer leftovers that are on their last legs. Finally got my first dual core machine only to have the bulgy caps on the mobo finally give out. Had that one running for all of about 2 weeks. Bought a new mobo to replace the dead one... got it up and running just fine... then I let loose a nasty virus that I think was lurking in the machine (got it from my in-laws). In my attempt to use AVG antivirus.. it deleted a vital piece of the OS and now I can't even boot up. I need to wipe the system and start clean. Need to see if I can salvage the few doc's I have on the beast for business before I do so.

That's about it for the drama on my end... well... the drama that I'm willing to spill online. Ha!

Personally... I know too many people who are eager to toss their systems out rather than try to fix them. How else would you explain why I have 9 computers within 12 feet of me... and only 2 of them are currently running?
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:03 am

Before my big cleanup, I had 25 systems in the attic, 2 running and about half of the other capable of starting. Add to that 10 movers boxes of add-in cards/drives/cables, you can imagine what it was like. I have brought all of that to the recycling place together with the 12 CRT monitors that were in there. So now I actually have an attic instead of a large unorganised pile of computer hardware. For daily use I have a laptop now.

Whenever people are chaning systems (because the one they use is actually too slow for what they use it for or it is actually falling apart) I tell them to look for the recycling place or their local charity to donate it too, I'm no longer taking them home.

As for the AVG story, that would mean you have a 2009 version on that machine, highly unlikely. Maybe it's Avast, they had a more recent hiccup.

Get yourself an USB to IDE/SATA harddisk cable, it's a very useful piece of hardware for retrieving files from crashed windows installs.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Myth » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:36 am

Well... I downloaded AVG from some place like cnet. For some reason AVG wouldn't let me put the item in quarantine and the only thing it would allow was to delete. so... I ... did. :oops: It was after I did that I realized what the deleted file was called. Can't remember if it was a dll or driver. I was soo stressed I forgot to write it down.

Oh well.. what's done is done.

I love that our local MAC store has been running recycling campaigns recently. We dropped off several machines and HUGE CRT monitors during the last collection. Normally we have to pay to drop off the dead equipment. Once a year they let us do it for free.
Myth
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:54 am

Sounds like a "buggy" version of AVG. For the safest D L, go directly to their site.. www.avg.com/ They do have a 24/7 free help line.
You might want to try a "repair" install of the OS, maybe the faulty files will be replaced with good ones. You should be able to do a scan on the troubled drive using a USB link, from a known-good system.
Once the OS operating files have been infected, the system is considered "tanked".
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:12 pm

Don't use AVG anymore, it slows down the system and does let the odd nasty through.. I know use Microsofts own Security essentials, coupled with Malwarebytes Antimalware... But then again, I now rarely use windows, just far too slow... As for PC's... Too many, 3main PC's, 2 Macs, 3 Macbooks and umpteen other laptops.... Thank goodness they recycle for free in this small island..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Next

Return to The Water Cooler