Water Cooling Fever

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Water Cooling Fever

Postby Porphyria » Sat May 11, 2002 6:26 am

Well, I think I may be infected with water cooling fever. :cry:

As much as I tell myself that it is NOT a good choice for my first time building a computer, I can't get it out of my head. The case I'm looking at is the Koolance PC2-C. I have read a lot of reviews and it is only 190 dollars at Directron right now. It is almost more cost effective than an air cooled case, as a high end air case is at least 100 and change and then you have to buy a 40 dollar fan. I have recalculated my computer with the Koolance case and still have managed to stay under 1000. Water cooled cases are also silent and more effective. The problem I have with water cooling is the reliability. What if my system were to spring a leak and the whole computer were to fry? What is the likelihood of that? Please either convince me in favor or against water cooling for a beginner. If I do decide to water cool should I hire somebody to install it?
Porphyria
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby BittaBrotha » Sat May 11, 2002 6:15 pm

You made a good point, what if it spring a leak...does it matter who installed it? I wouldn't buy if it was me. I'm also building a new system, and I guess I bought a real cheap case...so it will have to do until I can buy a better one.

I think I will find a nice black case and build a black system. I already have a black 15in monitor :roll: and black KB & Mouse, along wit speakers.

Just a thought!
WinCE, WinME, & WinNT
What does it spell?
CEMENT, guaranteed to weigh you down!
BittaBrotha
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Doc Overclock » Sun May 12, 2002 12:58 am

The Koolance system is completely safe.

It is designed very well and will not
Spring A Leak

I have used that case for months now and it is quiet and very very effeciant.

Do not let the thoght of water dampen your spirits as it is completely safe.

Have fun
Doc Overclock - Adventures In Electricity
Doc Overclock
Lord Of The Realm

Postby Porphyria » Sun May 12, 2002 7:23 am

Wow. Looks like I'm going to go for it then. I've never assembled a computer but I have taken things out, hard drives, RAM, Cd-roms,etc. Do you think I would be able to install my new system in this case or should I have somebody do it for me? How effective is the case compared to a high end air cooled system or another water cooled case of comparable price? For example, I heard good things about the Innovatek water cooling kit but that looks harder to install.
Soooooooooooooo... My system looks like this.

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ retail 159
Soltek SL-75DRV5 retail 98
384mb Crucial PC2700 170
Koolance PC2-C 190
ATI OEM RADEON 8500 LE 128MB 138
Enermax 365P 350W 50
Maxtor Quiet Drive 40gb 7200rpm 77
Lite On 16X 41
Lite On 32x12x40 CDRW retail 70
SAMSUNG 1.44MB FLOPPY DRIVE 7

GRAND TOTAL.............................. 1000

Well, I'm right on target and I have everything I want in this system. Look good? Please give me some feedback on this configuration.
Porphyria
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Doc Overclock » Sun May 12, 2002 11:32 am

Stick with Swiftech or Koolance as both are very easy to setup and get going.

Water is the best cooling short of liquid nitrogen.

Have fun..... :D :D :D :D :D
Doc Overclock
Lord Of The Realm

Postby Porphyria » Sun May 12, 2002 12:29 pm

Do you have a preference? Which is more effective? Thanks alot for all the great info! :D
Porphyria
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Doc Overclock » Sun May 12, 2002 3:15 pm

Swiftech is the best for CPU only cooling but the Koolance can be expanded to cool may things.

For the desktop I like the Koolance better as it has a smaller footprint.

The Swiftech is a server size case.... :)
Doc Overclock
Lord Of The Realm

Postby Porphyria » Sun May 12, 2002 4:50 pm

Well, after seeing the price on the Swiftech ($283 for the Swiftech and $190 for the Koolance :? ) it looks like I'm going with the Koolance if both are of equal quality. Will I be able to get more performance out of my system by overclocking everything a little bit (RAM, video card, CPU) than by overclocking my CPU really high and not anything else? I never really planned to overclock but if I'm getting a water cooled case it would sort of be a waste to run it at clock speed all the time. Does the Koolance case have units to cool the GPU and the RAM? Thanks for answering all my questions. By the way, how's your quest for #1 going? Maybe you should try the new 2.53 ghz chip instead of the 2.4?
Porphyria
Black Belt
Black Belt

ATI OEM Video Card Heads-up

Postby Flyin » Sun May 12, 2002 9:12 pm

http://www.jncs.com/indexmbh.html

"We've discontinued sale of OEM ATI cards. The quality just isn't up to par - it used to be the same as the retail product, but without the box. ATI is now allowing others to manufacture the OEM product. That which we have received is very poor quality and is failing our tests. The retail product remains good, and we are continuing to sell it. "

I have no idea how universal this problem is. This topic was enough to ease my mind and just get the retail version. Hope it makes a difference.
Flyin
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Porphyria » Sun May 12, 2002 9:31 pm

Hmmmmmmmmm... Now I'm confused... I heard that the Koolance case doesn't come with ANY component coolers-not even the CPU water block. Does this mean I have to buy all of the component coolers seperately? How well does the GPU liquid cooler work? Could the video card be significantly overclocked? Are there any other coolers you think are neccesary?
Porphyria
Black Belt
Black Belt

Next

Return to The Water Cooler