Have mainstream notebooks turned into cheap junk?

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby c327 » Sat May 02, 2009 2:56 am

Well not really, as it depends on what you are looking at and are willing to pay for it.

One can pay $26,000 for a new Camry and $300. for a 1946 rusted out Dodge. On a trip from New York to California the Camry will probably make it there and the Dodge will make it there a few weeks later on the back of a flatbed tow truck.
:P
Recently I bought a Sager 15.4 with wsxga supper glossy display and Intel 2.8 1066 fsb cpu, XP Pro, etc and it wasn't cheap, more like $2000.

I have to say after using it for the last 6 months I am very happy with it and would buy another. It does what I want it to do and it does it well and every time.

The other thing which was a big thingy was to buy from a company that has a face with good tech support and warranty service and that was Sager. You can actually call Sager and speak to some of the biggest executives there. Just the reverse of Dell.

Try calling Mike Dell, Hello I would like to speak to mister Mike Dell, hold on (45 minute wait) as you are number 346 in line waiting to speak to him, hello he is at a meeting can I help you, We don't sell Pizza...hello are you there, hello....I'm sorry but I'm in India handling your call now so please understand my English isn't that good. Hello are you there....disconnected.....huuuuuumm +&&^%$#&*&%&$ Award winning tech support? Don't make me laugh :P *&%&$^%%^##

Laptop retail sellers like HP, Dell, Gateway and Sager, Falcon NW etc. don't make the Chassis's, they are made by ODM's like Compal and Clevo to name a couple and then re badged. There are probably hundreds of different models within a product line for retail sellers to choose from. Some models are better than others and the cost difference between them can be significant.

It's a something for everyone kind of deal, you get what you pay for.

Clevo and Compal are IMO the best of the lot. You generally can't buy the upper end laptops in stores like Bestbuy as they just don't sell, so they don't offer them. Most folks don't want to spend $2000 - $3000 for a notebook PC. IMO
Last edited by c327 on Sat May 02, 2009 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Sat May 02, 2009 3:12 am

I see no bad things about Toshiba either, does this mean they are still as reliable as they once were?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Sat May 02, 2009 3:32 am

evasive wrote:I see no bad things about Toshiba either, does this mean they are still as reliable as they once were?

No, Every day is a new deal imo. Gotta keep checking things out. After Sager, Toshiba was my second choice. I wanted a glossy display and the latest and fastest cpu, and if I remember correctly Toshiba did not offer that at the time.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Previous

Return to The Water Cooler