AOpen AX4B-533Tube - The Vacuum Tube MoBo

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby timmib » Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:09 pm

I thought you were spoofing!!! I suppose it sells boards <g>. Wonder how many aopen engineers it takes to change a light bulb? <lol>

Be well,

Tim
timmib
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby evasive » Tue Jun 04, 2002 4:14 pm

One. The others are thinking out this kind of stuff apparantly...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby riley0853 » Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:53 pm

noticed that it's made for a pentium chip. if they made one for an amd chip you wouldn't even need a furnace in winter :wink:
riley0853
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby B3Nut » Sat Jun 08, 2002 9:31 am

Actually, the heat generated by a small-signal dual-triode such as the one used in that motherboard is not great. I would shield the tube, though...keep RFI/hash/etc. away from it, even though it's not in a high-gain area of the audio circuitry, just an output buffer.

Kudos to Aopen for chutzpah, though. :D

TP, a tube/vintage Hammond organ nut
--
Todd A. Phipps and his silly dog Obie + Honey
www.afterburnerpro.com
B3Nut
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby paramufay » Mon Jun 10, 2002 12:53 am

well im from the old school. cut my teeth on tubes and burnt many a finger on 6E6's. solid state will never have the "warmth" of the old glass tube sound. The sound of a 68 Fender Super Reverb and a telly cannot be achieved by a solid state amp. But like the automobile underdash record player of the early 60's its day has come and gone. Things change and we must change with them or be left behind.
paramufay
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby B3Nut » Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:35 am

its day has come and gone.

Nah. :) Tubes are still alive and well in the musical world. Visit any guitar shop. Between Fender reissues of their classics (including the Super Reverb! :) ) and the small-shop "botique" amps and others, there's a strong showing of the glowy things. :)

The tube line buffer on the motherboard is a bit silly, but I don't care for boards with onboard A/V in the first place. I still give Aopen an A+ for guts. :D

But, if one wishes to leave what they percieve as the past behind, just ship those obsolete Hammond B-3's, Leslies, Fender Deluxe Reverbs, Neumann U47 and Telefunken ELA M-251 mikes, and Pultec EQ's to me, and I'll make sure they're disposed of properly. :D :D

TP
--
Todd A. Phipps and his silly dog Obie + Honey
www.afterburnerpro.com
B3Nut
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Previous

Return to The Water Cooler