small computers

Post here if you just want to chat about... whatever.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

small computers

Post by c327 »

Trying to get this post in but running into issues here? Wanted to know about the small micro computers from folks that have actually used them. What features or computer power is lacking from them as compared to full sized tower PC's
From The West Traveling East
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Re: small computers

Post by Mr T »

Main thing is graphic capabilities. The newer Ryzen based ones are a lot better, but like most small PC's the graphics is the bottleneck. If you are a content creator or gamer, a normal PC is the way (more power, better graphics to run everything). Mini PC's are good for web surfing, watching content and have a really low power footprint, so can be left on all the time. To keep the power levels down, I use Linux over windows as it's a lot quicker and uses less RAM and drive space. Most if not all mini PC's have room for a NVMe SATA interfaced SSD, which is lower power and quick. I have a few of these small PC's lying around, Intel NUC's, ASrRocks NUC, and some old legacy ones (more to thin Client) that can run KODI, be a web/print server and so on..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...