what temp should i expect?

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

what temp should i expect?

Postby Tramontane » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:30 pm

i am a bit concerned over the temps i have been seeing on my proc
[all temps in Celsius as reported by mobo program. except the ambient and hard drive temps which are reported by an antec hard drive cooler]

here are the specs
zalman heat sink CNPS7000B-Cu LED the copper version not the 120 mm fan

mobo is a asus a8n sli delux

lian li v2000b case i have replaced the 120 mm fans for faster sunon fans

processor is a athlon 3800 x2 xp

the temps at idle are humming around at 40-41 so is the system temp

when i crank up prime 95 and super pi at the same time i get temps 55-57

inside the mobo compartment the ambient temp is 30 the top of the case i have three hard drives around 35-40 and the system is still at 40 while the proc is cranking away.

there is no speed control on the fan i have left that off so it is full speed all the time. i have reseated the heat sink once and am using arctic silver 5.

neither testing programs uncover any errors nor stability problems.

let me know should i try a diff heat sink perhaps upgrade to the 120 version since i could just attach it to the same mount as the smaller one or a diff sink all together?
Tramontane
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby c327 » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:27 am

I'm wondering exactly how many fans this P.C. has, what size are they and where are they located.

Not knowing exactly what you now have as far as fans and their locataion makes it difficult to suggest anything. As a minimum I would want as much fan as I could get for the front of the case. I would also want a good sized fan on the top of the case like a 120mm, one in the rear of the case not counting the two in the PSU. I would also put one in the side of the case blowing in, probably a 120mm. Need to move air across the mobo and then out. With 3 HDD's I'm thinking the front fans are not enough to produce cooler air. By the time the air passes over the HDD's the air is probably to warm to cool much. So I would look towards another source of cool intake air (side blow hole). IMO

It sounds like you are supplying the inside of the case with not enough cool air, and then you need the same amount out, IMO.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Tramontane » Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:01 am

front top case four 40 mm one 80 as part of hd coolers and a 120 right next to the cpu blowing out

bottom case there is a 120 in and two 80 and the ps fan out lots of ventalation holes in the courners and bottom of the case no positive seal on the case to hold pressure in
Tramontane
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tramontane » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:40 pm

i may have used too much arctic silver i will check the washers i hate to remove the mobo because i have a ton of drive cables coming from the mobo and the rocket raid controller. most of the drives are raided so i would hate to get the cables mixed up .

those fans were all mm not inches i was in a hurry to get to work this morning so no edit of the boo boos

some further clarification the three hard drives i spoke of are just the three that i have temp probes attached to two drives are in the top compartment with a floppy two optical drives and two hard drives in hd coolers which have two 40 mm fans each made by antec.

the 80 mm fan is in a now empty two slot hard drive cage which takes up two 5.25 slots for three 3.5 inch drives.

in the lower case there is a seperate compartment for the ps and 3.5 drive bays i have 11 hard drives all large capacity one raptor 74 gig six of whch are pata and the rest sata drives

i confess i am a hard drive junkie
Tramontane
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby YouGiveMeRash!!! » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:53 pm

Props on owning the V2000. I have one too. 8)

My ambient temps are 27 C and temps at load for the CPU are 36-37 C (water cooled).

I have a skt. 754 3700+@2.58ghz, 2 hard drives, an Ultra X2-Connect 550w (Ultra RMA'ed me an upgrade from my old X-Connect for free :D ), 6800 vanilla w/ partially unlocked pipelines/shaders, 1gb ram, etc...the usual.

You are running a couple degrees high IMO. You most likely put too much AS5. Did you apply it correctly? With AS5, you just put a tiny half-bb or grain of rice size drop in the middle. Then you just put the heatsink on top. It will spread by itself.

Also, just because you have put in a faster 120mm fans or more fans doesnt mean you will get better temps. You might be doing more harm than good.

I only have three fans running in my Lian-Li (not counting PSU, VGA). I removed the front 120mm fan and left the rear exhaust 120mm. The other 2 fans are 80mm attached to my radiator underneath the power supply. There is adequate flow to cool my hard drives.

Just try using less fans and try to decrease the speed of them.

Your problem is definitely coming from all of those hard drives. It's obvious. Just get rid of em, or start water cooling. :wink:
Main rig: 1/2" ID Water Cooled Lian-Li V2000B, Abit IP35 Pro, Intel C2D E6750@ -3.4ghz 1.3375v, Mushkin 2gb DDR2-800 996576, one terabyte storage, evga 7900GS KO w/ Zalman VF700-AlCu cooler, Swiftech Apogee GT water block, Ultra X2 550w PSU
Laptop: Asus Z70VA, Pentium M 725 1.6@ -2.13ghz (pinmod), ATI X700 Pro, 1680x1050 native res., bluetooth, the works...
YouGiveMeRash!!!
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby tedybear » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:08 pm

Change the fan pointed next to the CPU's HSF unit. You want that one blowing IN towards the CPU. If it's trying to pull air out of the case, and it's along the same lines as the HSF of the CPU? It will create much un-needed air disruption. Plus the HSF for the CPU blows downwards 'in' at the CPU. See how that works for you.

S-
tedybear
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Tramontane » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:23 pm

that makes sense to me thanks ted i am used to a closed system case this one is more like a sieve and less like a air tight box so air does not really get sucked through the case like it should and its a huge thing but what you said makes sense since it is right next to the cpu hsf
Tramontane
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Tramontane » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:51 pm

well its been running a while since i flipped the fan and removed the cardbard washers and reaplied the ac 5 put a very small amount this time about a grain of rice or so i have both prime 95 and super pi running prime has gone through 4 tests twice and loop 20 has completed on pie temp is holding at 51 or two so i think it is some better.
Tramontane
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:49 am

All too many cases have provision for front fans, but no way for air to enter the front cover.. they simply pull air from somewhere else inside the case. It is better to have several fans inputting air to the system, and allowing for the PSU and other vents to exhaust the air. It is to be remembered that if you have two fans opposite each other, blowing in the same direction or center point, that there will be a negative effect.. not what is desired. You want a cross-flow of air, so the cooling devices' own fans can do their job, and you 'blow away' the unwanted heat.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Tech Support