Wireless internet help

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Wireless internet help

Postby Guitarzan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:40 pm

Ok we have a netgear router, cable internet and I have a wireless pci card. after many many hours of trying to add myself to the network it finally worked but now my connection will work for 10 minutes die for 2, work for 20 dies for 2 etc... just totally stops. im considering ditching the wireless but im unsure of my options. i know i can probably run an ethernet cable from the router to my room. but id have to go through the ceiling and floor. my question is there anyway i can use the cable in my room if i got another modem or something? im not quite sure how this all works. im open to any suggestions.
thanks
Guitarzan
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby jimmy-j » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:53 pm

Why not ask your cable company to run another cable outside and into the upstairs room?
jimmy-j
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Guitarzan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:59 pm

well i have a cable for tv in my room, would it work if i just bought a modem and hooked it up with a splitter from my tv?
Guitarzan
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby jimmy-j » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:14 pm

Sorry mate I can't answer that one I'm on adsl and don't have cable in our area.
jimmy-j
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby diggy » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:21 pm

Guitarzan wrote:well i have a cable for tv in my room, would it work if i just bought a modem and hooked it up with a splitter from my tv?

You would have to pay for the service fee for the second modem.
If you get it at a promo rate, great, if not then you would have to pay full rate.
diggy
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Copper » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:31 pm

Guitarzan wrote:well i have a cable for tv in my room, would it work if i just bought a modem and hooked it up with a splitter from my tv?

you would need an isolated splitter with the correct filtration, if the tv and internet is supplied down the same cable.it will need to be fitted by your cable company as these cannot be purchased normally
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:36 pm

For Time Warner's digital cable, it just uses the same cable your TV hooks up to. They set aside a certain frequency in the cable for internet, the rest for TV broadcasting. Makes things a little simpler. No special hardware needed except for the modem.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby beaconengr » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:18 am

Does your connection automatically reconnect after 2 minutes or so? If you reboot your router, does it reconnnect immediately? If so, you have a rotuer issue, not a wireless issue. And lots of things can cause a wireless to drop. Cell phone, cordless phone, microwave.
beaconengr
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:41 pm

The cable company runs one lead to your home. If you have a link upstairs as well as downstairs, no problem in relocating the router to where you want it. Same source. It may be less prone to interference. Just reconnect the TV to the cable setup, with any converter boxes needed.
If the router shuts down intermittently, it is a sign that there is an overheat problem in the unit. Moving it to a cooler location may cure the problem. On the other thoughts, it may be that there is a spurt of user activity, and you are on "hold" until a clear channel is open to you. There is just so much bandwidth on cable setups. The more users, the more some willl have to be on "hold" until traffic lessens.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Tech Support