PC Shop cant seem to fix my pc!

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

PC Shop cant seem to fix my pc!

Postby bigadjaye » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:55 am

Hi all,

I took my pc to a pc shop because it had problems and they said i needed a new motherboard. So they replaced the motherboard and i have just come back from the shop cos i was meant to collect it but they have just told me they are having further problems.

I bought my pc 2nd hand off this guy i knew and he had a bit of a weird setup. The PC has 2 physical hard disks and each is partitioned to make 4 partitions in total. Windows was installed multiple times on my pc by the guy I bought it off so that when you boot up you select which windows you want to load. So normally I select the top option in the list, Windows XP and off I go. But apparantly now when they try to boot up my PC and install windows after installing the new motherboard, the PC is getting confused about which windows is which??

The people in the shop told me that the first sector of the first hard disk is a 2GB partition (FAT) and this is causing problems because it cant get past this sector to install Windows where they want to install it on my G Drive which is a 40GB partition. I hope this is making some sense?? The shop said that they could try and blend the first partition into the next but this would risk all the data on the 2nd partition. I dont care about anything installed on the first 2GB partition (if i remember correctly a version of windows which i never use is installed on it). But the rest of the data on the other 3 partitions is very dear to me and I dont want to loose any of it.

Does anyone have any idea A. what im talking about and B. what to do about it??

The PC shop said they were running out of ideas... They said they could try and take an image of the 2nd disk and put it onto another hard disk and then format the 2nd disk... But then what about the data on the first disk...

Sorry Ive written an essay!! Its all a bit complicated to me and a bit over my head. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance :)

Michael
bigadjaye
Initiate
Initiate

Postby colinJohn » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:04 am

There's no excuse for a PC shop not to be able to resolve this.

The stupid way is the easiest. Have them:
1. copy the data from your primary drive onto a spare drive.
2. remove the partitions and format the drive.
3. Install XP on the clean drive
4. Copy your data back across

Job done.
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby bigadjaye » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:20 am

Well that doesnt sound too complicated! Will all my installed software still be intact once it copied back onto my hard disk?
bigadjaye
Initiate
Initiate

Postby EmilyB » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:20 am

colinJohn wrote:There's no excuse for a PC shop not to be able to resolve this.

The stupid way is the easiest. Have them:
1. copy the data from your primary drive onto a spare drive.
2. remove the partitions and format the drive.
3. Install XP on the clean drive
4. Copy your data back across

Job done.

Even I could do that, but a professional shop cant??? 8O
EmilyB

Postby Mr T » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:27 am

It's called 'data recovery' and I would charge for it, not much, but enough to cover the cost.. That is why we have test rigs, USB drives and windowsPE for this purpose...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby ~PJ~ » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:28 am

bigadjaye wrote:Well that doesnt sound too complicated! Will all my installed software still be intact once it copied back onto my hard disk?

No. From what you've said, there will be no way of keeing the instaleld software. You wouldn't want to, anyway - it sounds like evrything is all over the place.
Get them [or you do it yourself] to move all your work files, photos, music etc. to one place. Then, either write it onto a CD or ask them to find a spare drive as CJ suggested.

Then, wipe the lot - all partitions, both drives.
Decide just what you want in the way of partitions - persoanlly I don't bother. I have one drive for storage / backup and one drive to use on a daily basis.

Finally, reinstall whichever version of windows you actually want on the master drive.

Let there be respect for the earth,
Peace for its people,
Love in our lives,
Delight in the good,
Forgiveness for past wrongs,
And from now on a new start.
~PJ~
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Sabrewings » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:12 am

That PC is a mess. Just pull all the data off, low level zero-fill both drives, deleting the extra partitions, and reinstall. C: drive is for the OS and program files, and you should use the D: drive for storage and the pagefile.
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bigadjaye » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:55 pm

so basically it looks like im gonna have to reinstall all software i have on my pc?? So all I can save is any files i have ie. word docs, pics, multimedia etc? Is that right?
Couldnt I use a third hard disk and install windows on that and then access the other hard disks through the new windows install and sort them out through windows?
bigadjaye
Initiate
Initiate

Postby jimmy-j » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:05 pm

Yes you could install a new disc and do a fresh install of windows onto that and then access the programs from your other drive as a slave.
jimmy-j
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby jronald » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:08 pm

The short answer to your last question is yes.
Software on those 2 "old" drives, will probably no longer work but everything will still be there.
Software I like or think I like, I download to a file folder on the desk top called "burn to cd".
Bet you know why....
MusicMatch
WinZip
Mozzilla
FireFox
AVG
AsusProbe
and others live on this CD.
Even a year old one will have most of my favs.

Ron
My son carries in his childhood, the wonders I have sought my lifetime to find, and squandered fortunes to posses
jronald
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Next

Return to Tech Support