The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:40 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:42 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Hi all, I have done extensive testing and can describe this problem in more detail, so sorry about posting a book, but all this info may help.
Please read the whole post in detail before commenting as this problem seems more complex than I thought. I bought this board about 7 months ago from a friend who had used it for only 3 months and I saw it working before buying.
After being stored in its original packaging for 7 months I am now trying to use it without success. I am a mainframe computer engineer and I have built more than 30 PCs for myself and friends over the years so I am sure this is not something I am doing wrong. I suspect a BIOS related problem but I can not even get to the point of flashing the BIOS. I have the latest BIOS (1005) (needed for the E7500) on a USB pendrive but the system does not see it at all because I can't get past POST
I have a new E7500 Core 2 Duo processor, Nvidia 9500GT 1 gig and a new 500 watt power supply and 1 x 2 gig DDR2-800 mem stick.

With only these components installed and front panel stuff connected, (no drives at all) it will not go further than the following screen and I have also tried setting it up on a table out of the cabinet to make sure there were no chassis shorts.
When I press DEL on bootup or even when I DON'T press anything, I get 1 beep only and this screen, which seems to indicate a NO KEYBOARD fault:

AMIBIOS (C) 2007 American Megatrends, Inc
Asus P5k Deluxe wi-fi ACPI BIOS Revision 0311
CPU: Intel Core(TM) CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHZ
Speed: 2.94 GHZ Count: 2

Press F8 for BBS POPUP
Press ALT+F2 to execute ASUS EZ Flash
DDR2-800 in Single Channel Mode
Initializing USB Controllers
.. Done.
2048MB OK

(C) American Megatrends, Inc
65-0311-000001-00101111-052507-bearlake-A0761001-Y2KC

However, I believe the keyboard is working because on bootup, the 3 keyboard lights flash and the message is different if I hold down F8 instead of DEL (tried both usb and PS2 KBs)
When I hold down F8, I get the following screen which is slightly different:

AMIBIOS (C) 2007 American Megatrends, Inc
Asus P5k Deluxe wi-fi ACPI BIOS Revision 0311
CPU: Intel Core(TM) CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHZ
Speed: 2.94 GHZ Count: 2

Boot Selection popup menu has been selected
Press ALT+F2 to execute ASUS EZ Flash
DDR2-800 in Single Channel Mode
Initializing USB Controllers
.. Done.
2048MB OK

(C) American Megatrends, Inc
65-0311-000001-00101111-052507-bearlake-A0761001-Y2KC

OTHER INFO
I have tried both a USB k/b and a PS2 and the only difference is that with the USB k/b it does NOT tell me "2048 MB ok", but it DOES tell me that it has initialized the USB controller.
Both K/Bs have been tested on another PC so I know they work.
I have also cleared the CMOS via the normal procedure and even disconnected the P/S and left battery out for 30 min.
I have also tried the mem in all 4 sockets. I know it is seeing the mem ok because I get the correct beep codes when I remove the mem or video card.
I have even tried booting without the processor to try a force BIOS reset to no avail.
Holding down ALT+F2 on bootup to try a flash only gives me the same screen as when I hold down DEL or nothing.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can give me.
Ward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:06 am 
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

i'm not sure, but maybe you need to boot with a cpu that is supported by the bios already on the machine, in order for you to flash to a bios that supports the 7500???
what chip was in the machine when you saw it boot?

usually a keyboard error says so, so it seems the sytem is plain halting... if you hit caps lock, does the caps lock light turn on and off?

i'm guessing you haven't overlooked simply getting in the bios by hitting "f2". right?

zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:51 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Hey bdub, nice to hear from you. That may have given me a ray of hope. Didn't try caps lock but num lock works fine and as I said, I get the three KB lights flash on power up so KB failure just doesn't fit. Did try F2 (no success) but the manual says ALT to get into BIOS anhoo. Your idea re installing an earlier processor makes sense, just checked and E7500 needs at least 1003, so it makes lottsa sense. I can't remember what processor the guy I bought it from was using and I don't have an earlier processor as I am using an old box with an old Celeron D, but the old socket 478 type.
Bit of a catch 22 as all the flash methods assume you can at least get into DOS, but if I can't get past POST......bla bla poor Yosarian
Thanks a lot. Anybody else out there think the same? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:01 am 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Welcome to the motherboards.org....

If the BIOS screen shows the CPU correctly it won't be that... If the CPU was incompatible it will show 'unknown CPU' or won't POST at all...

You have POST, but it sticks.... This can be down to incompatible RAM, overheating CPU and most likely in your case a weak PSU... 500w is not great these days, esp no name ones.... Recheck all your connections again, esp the PSU to motherboard... Use only one stick of RAM - in fact your issue may be there too... A lot of older BIOS's strugle with 2Gb RAM sticks.. If you can get a 1Gb stick (borrow one off a friend, ensure it is DDR2) to get a good POST to update the BIOS....

Yet to some people I still know nothing...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:21 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Thanks Mr T, your words of wisdom also make sense, which may confuse me more lol. But how can such an early BIOS recognize the processor if that processor info is not in that BIOS version. I agree re the PSU being a bit weak but I have not even hooked up a drive to it yet so I am not sooooo sure about PSU the overload theory. The 9500 GT only draws 112 watts at idle and the mobo is 144 at idle and 193 at full load. I am using just one mem stick of DDR2-800 which should be fine. I've tried it in all 4 slots to no avail. I just don't feel in my gut that this is a H/W issue. Bdubs theory makes sense because now I think about it, the first power up did say "running setup" but froze and I have not seen that message again since, only the 2 screens I included in my post to the forum. Just the fact that I get a screen would seem to indicate that the PSU has all its voltages but I probably should check. Thanks again, I now at least have more to go on. My prob is that I don't have another set of components to swap out and test theories. If you can add anything else, I am all ears. cheers
(ps) please enlighten me Mr T. Should I be able to get into BIOS with no processor ???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:01 pm 
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

wardww wrote:
Should I be able to get into BIOS with no processor ???

no, you can't do that.
possible you got a corrupt bios, maybe??? possbile asus can send you a bios chip with the correct bios for your chip?

i agree with mr. t that the boards, if it had a problem with the older bios and newer chip, would either not post at all, or say unknown cpu... at least, that was how it was a few years back. but these days everything is pretty spiffy and smart, so maybe things are different somehow.
in any case, just to clarigy, you are saying that the computer boots to that screen, and just halts, going nowhere else, but you can punch on and off numlock, so it is not frozen, but halted....
seems like a bios issue to me.

never heard of a bios using "alt" to get into it, always "f1", "f2", or "delete"... although i have seen hp's that use "f10"...

zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:27 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Hi bdub, thanks again. Re the possibility of a corrupt BIOS, this is (or was when released) a very high end mobo. It has a facility called "crash free BIOS. According to the manual, if the BIOS is corrupt, it will automaticaly poll all connected CD/DVD, floppies or USB pendrive and when it finds a BIOS file it will automatically begin flashing. I have tried this and have BIOS ver 1005 on a pendrive plugged in when I boot, but it does not get that far. I have not used a floppy for ages but I will hook one up and try with a floppy. The fact that it is not polling the USB port strengthens your first theory. It may be that even though it recognized the processor, it still may not be able to get through POST. Mr T also suggested trying a 1 gig mem stick rather than the 2 gig I have because early BIOS may also have an issue with this, but it says "2048 ok" so I am not sure about this theory either. I'll take the box to to a tech shop next week and see if they can get it to boot with an earlier processor to test you theory, but if you have any other ideas, please let me know, thanks to you guys, my gray matter now has something to think about. cheers, Ward

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:29 pm 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Thats the original BIOS revision... It needs updating before your RAM will work properly... If you get hold of a cheapo stick of DDR2 1Gb or below you should get POST enough to flash the BIOS... As I said earlier, on all boards these days if the CPU was incompatible it would show as 'unknown CPU' or wouldn't POST at all.... (I lost count the number of time I have seen this issue with 2Gb RAM sticks on early boards, and have used a fair few P5K's... On the PSU front, 500w is weak these days, even on a minimal setup - components don't just need the power, its how the PSU delivers it that can be the issue..)

Yet to some people I still know nothing...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:39 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Thanks again for the words of wisdom Mr T. Just went through the junk box, I have a drawer full of mem but no DDR2-800 1 gig chips. As I said, I'll probably have to take it to my local tech and pay him an hours labor (I hate that) simply because I don't have stuff to swap out and test. Won't be till Monday but I will let you know the result as soon as I do. Re the PSU, I hear you and will pick a stronger one when I have $ and let the poor wife have this new 500 watt one because her PC is just an old Celeron D she uses to surf and do WP, so it will be fine for that. One question though, why does it say in the post screen (see above) that "2048 ok" ?? I don't doubt your wisdom sir, I'm just curious. I also wonder what comes next after the mem check in POST. Thanks again, cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:22 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

In AMI BIOS sequence, the next step is verifying CPUID. Don't quote me on that, it's slightly different from board to board.

Also, don't count on the "memory check" in the BIOS as being Gospel here. All its doing is checking that its within operating tolerances, and the controller chip with the stick info on it matches what the physical amount says it is. I've seen wayyyyy too many sticks that failed just partway into one Memtest86 pass go through the BIOS check just fine.

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night