Properly grounding a motherboard - in a test environment...

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby robprime » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:05 pm

This is good stuff, fellas, as I was really wanting to know what was going on with the mobo grounding thing. I'm going to print a copy of some of these posts for personal reference. It looks like it takes a B.S. in Electrical Engineering just to understand the wiring color codes! :)
Antec SLK1650 w/350watt p/s
DFI LanPartyUT nf3 250gb
Amd Athlon64 3000+ w/TT Venus 12
1gig PQI Turbo DDR 400
XFX 6600gt 128 AGP
WD 80 gig 7200 sata
LiteOn 16x Dual DVD ROM
WinXP Pro Sp1
robprime
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:43 am

The electrical code book is very complicated, robprime.
At least every other year, a "revised" edition is issued. There are myriad regulations concerning the size of the wire, its insulation, thermal resistance, length of run per mil (size) and other thousands of "rules" governing the installation of electrical circuits, and electronic parts. How far each wire must be from others, including the overhead Hi-Tension system to the in-ground burial of those "walkway" lights. All of the rules have been assembled from instances in the field, regarding safety and what has caused failures. It is a prerequisite item for any electrical contractor or designer.
With electrical products and maintenance being a major part of my working life, I had to stay abreast of the rules, to ensure that anything I worked on or installed was according to code, so that no person or property would be endangered.
You may wonder why some people use a flimsy extension cord on power-hungry appliances.. some of them think, "the plug fits, use it" but don't have an idea about how much current the cord can safely carry. The result? Short-circuits, fires, and severe injury or death.
One scary thought is that a lot of people remove the ground pin from plugs to fit a socket that doesn't have one!!!! That is the worst thing you could do.. you are playing "Russian Roulette" with large amounts of current!

Hope my "explanation" of the PSU and related items was not too harsh. But facts are facts. Doing anything the "right" way is the best way! Safer for all.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby silly1 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:36 pm

nice arguments on both sides...

for years now we've been building computers in custom wooden boxes (no metal plates under the MB...and never had an issue with grounding....PSU grounding through the power cord is enough.
silly1

Previous

Return to Tech Support