The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:52 am

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:43 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

We have one or perhaps a couple of users whose building blocks.dotx file seems to become corrupt repeatedly. It doesn't happen on a regular basis - it may be a week or a month that passes before they call to report it's happened again.

While I've been able to find the fix I can't find anything about what causes this to happen or how to prevent it. I don't think these users even use building blocks, at least they're unlikely to be adding to it. Obviously they "use" it when trying to insert page numbers, etc.

The first time a user reports this, I replace their file with a known good one (a default copy that everyone in the firm has received). If it happens a second time, I replace it again and take the extra steps of manually copying it up to their roaming profile. The third time I may replace their PC and delete their roaming profile (both local and network copies). But what about the fourth time? Oh yes, I sometimes rename their normal.dotm file as well.

I wouldn't put it past any of our users to be doing something to cause this, but what could that be? Especially when they aren't modifying quick parts or anything like that? If it happened to everyone that might point to something in our environment but that's not the case. One person who's experiencing this isn't "that" user who always has weird problems.

We're on Windows 7 64 bit using Word 2007 sp3.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:51 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Have them close word first before they log off. I see you are using roaming profiles and you would not be the first being bitten by M$ yanking the network connection from under one of the office programs before it can completely save all the info...