Embarassing installation faults...that others should avoid!

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby aceadrian1 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:49 am

Sorry for accusing you Jack, I was just getting a little touchy. All forgotten now.
aceadrian1
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby ZieClaw » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:05 am

Ive had the reset switch connector and the power connector turned up the wrong way once >_< and I was like WTF y doen`t it boot up :roll: not really made any other mistakes yet!! :wink:
pentium 1 66 mhz uber powerfull -.-

rig specs:
msi kt6 delta-lsr mobo
AMD Athlon xp 2600+ barton
512 mb kingston value ram
120 gb 7200 rmp 8mb sata wd hdd
fic radeon 9600 pro 500/368
philips 4/2/32 cd-rw
msi 16x dvd rom
Sweex Xenon XB
ZieClaw
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby aceadrian1 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:09 am

Ive had the reset switch connector and the power connector turned up the wrong way once >_< and I was like WTF y doen`t it boot up

It's so easy to do... especially with the cases that come from weird countries with practically no labelling of the different wires. It's worst when you've just made a few dodgy changes to your PC and are worried that you've broken something anyway.

Edit/ BTW: you've got "rpm" the wrong way round in your sig :)
aceadrian1
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby dougsherwood1320 » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:54 am

Getting back to the subject.............. :roll:
Back in the days of 486 machines, I plugged a cpu in the wrong direction, bending some pins and frying the cpu. A costly mistake. :oops:
How many of us have plugged an AT power connector in wrong? I've done that too.
SOME THINGS MUST BE BELIEVED TO BE SEEN

MEMBER- MOTHERBOARDS.ORG FOLDING TEAM
>>>>>>>>>1,000,000 POINTS<<<<<<<<<
dougsherwood1320
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby CDBurner » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:59 am

One time, I forgot to plug in one of the AT connectors (the other connector was in there fine), and I booted up the machine that way. The machine actually worked without the second connector, much to my surprise once I noticed what I had done. 8O
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Reset Switches...

Postby Zinlu » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:41 pm

The one I remember the most, aside from all the uhm, others that have been mentioned in the thread that I have done:

This was the second puter I had ever built, Epox motherboard <can't remember the part number> and a 233mHz Pentium. One day it stopped booting. No POST no beep no nothing. Decided the mobo went south after testing, tossed it in the trash and ordered a brand new shiny Abit KT7E. After install the same exact thing. No POST, no beeps no nothing. :mad:

Thoroughly disgusted with the whole affair, I left it in the back room for a week. A techy friend of ours came over one evenin, and 10 minutes after he went in the puter room I heard him shout "Who's your daddy?!?" Well, the reset switch on the case was bad and shorted. DOH! Perfectly good Epox board ruined. :oops:

Wasn't very funny then but we laugh about it now. Also, I don't do any more testing with everything on the front panel hooked up anymore. :wink:
Zinlu
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

nice thread

Postby m3tw0 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:28 pm

OK after reading all these interesting, funny and oh so true stories
I have one that isnt terribly funny but may be terribly useful to anyone that may somehow duplicate it.

After getting my new Asus A7N8X-E - and hooking it up all nice
I decided to go ahead and change the BIOS settings to suit my liking
all worked fine... except for one very annoying and baffling thing
The computer would hang and refuse to continue to boot when a boot floppy or CD with DOS cd-rom drivers in the boot sequence was used.

It would just sit there trying to find the CD-ROM

ok so I think hmmm.... bad floppy NO
bad CD-ROM ... NO
bad cables ... NO
bad BIOS setting?
checked it all again seemed fine

/// scratches head ////

ok maybe a new version of BIOS?
damn my BIOS is the most up to date version.. 1008

ok lets try flashing it to 1007 and see if it fixes the problem

WOW that worked ... the computer boots properly now and sees the CD rom in DOS

ok well maybe the BIOS was just corrupt...????? lets try flashing the BIOS to 1008 again

nice that works too....

ok great lets go into the BIOS and change my settings to the way I had them originally

oops that breaks it...

Well after about an hour of changing 1 setting after another from default to the settings i wanted I finnally narrowed it down to one specific setting

MIDI was disabled = NO CD DRIVER BOOT

MIDI enabled (default) = NORMAL OPERATION and booting fine

moral of this long post and even longer troubleshooting session.

when in doubt just reset your BIOS to defaults. FIRST

sigh.....
FOLD!
m3tw0
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby CDBurner » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:26 am

That's very true. One time, I was having a problem where one my MSI K7T Turbo2 was just performing slowly. F@H was taking nearly twice as long to complete each type of work unit as another computer I have which has the same processor. I reset the BIOS to the defaults, and everything was fine again. I then changed the settings in the BIOS to enable the best performance, and it was still fine. I never did find out which setting caused the problem, though.
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby mike_54 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:40 am

My first was clearing the CMOS leaving and returning then forgot to remove jumper before powering up, nothing but smoke followed. Second same thing all parts in received power supply, installed and nothing thinking now what did I do several minutes later discovered the power on switch located on the back of the power supply. Learning is fun.
mike_54
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:11 pm

several minutes later discovered the power on switch located on the back of the power supply.

that is far below average. Usually takes between 20 and 40 minutes to find out. I've seen some cases of that. The sheer joy to walk in and flick that switch... :twisted:
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support