Embarassing installation faults...that others should avoid!

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby skydive » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:18 pm

A couple of weeks ago, a man came into the shop, complaining that the floppy drive we sold him was defective. The machine wasn't booting,and the floppy light was staying on (sounds reasonable enough?). He brought along the case to show us...

The floppy cable was a right state.. The IDC connector had partially come off one end, so only half of the contacts were being made. He had tried to fix it with sellotape, but had only made things worse.

Added to this, it looked like the case hadn't been cleaned in 5+ years. Dust was all over the place.

We gave him a replacement floppy cable to keep him happy, and then asked about the machines' use...

He claimed he was an IT technician (yeah right!) and he thought it was running a bit slowly. He had a P66 with 16 megs of EDO, and was trying to run Win98.

We managed to sell him a further 64 megs of EDO before he left, muttering something about playing Unreal Tournament.

It really gets me annoyed when customers swear blind they know about PCs whe they so obviously dont.

Any others like that?
skydive
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:07 am

Worse and you don't want to know frankly. 486s and win98, yeah right...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Copper » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:17 am

skydive wrote:He claimed he was an IT technician (yeah right!)

Any others like that?

ignorant twit
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:16 am

He claimed he was an IT technician

prolly switching on the systems in the morning and putting them off in the evening...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby CDBurner » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:21 am

skydive wrote:He claimed he was an IT technician (yeah right!)

I find that hard to believe, too. Anyone who knows anything about computers should realize that a damaged cable probably won't work. :roll:

evasive wrote:486s and win98, yeah right...

I've seen that too. The machine I saw took so long to boot that I thought it had frozen.
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby evasive » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:27 am

I've seen that too. The machine I saw took so long to boot that I thought it had frozen.

In this case the rattling of the old clunker harddisk inside made clear it was actually booting 8O
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby skydive » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:07 pm

Hey man, in our store we get all kinds of dregs of society who think they know more than we do...

We have to carefully couch answers to show them how little they really know. Compared to us, of course

The customers often try to palm off crap on us. One bloke said he wanted to return a Soyo KT3 board 'cos the BIOS was fault...He said he'd had 2 replacement ROM chips sent direct from Soyo to him and he changed them himself. We didn't quite laugh him out of the shop, but we nearly did.

Fools.

If a bloke down the pub told you how to do brain surgery on yourself, would you try it? No! Then why do so many people try to mess with their own PC's when they cannot even take off the side panel without difficulty?!
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD XP2800+ Barton
2x256 Corsair XMS @ 2,2,2,5
WD 1600 SATA
Hercules Rad 9800 Pro
SB Audigy 2 Platinum internal
Waterchill on CPU & NB
Tagan TG-480 U01
Lian-Li V2000
Creative DTT 3500 Digital rewired with Van Damme cable
skydive
Initiate
Initiate

Postby dougsherwood1320 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:41 pm

How about those people who open their hard drives thinking they can fix it. Got a few drives returned to Seagate where I worked that even had been oiled....on the heads and disks. They expected us to repair or replace it under warranty (many times we did). I did failure analysis for a while and saw all kinds of things.
SOME THINGS MUST BE BELIEVED TO BE SEEN

MEMBER- MOTHERBOARDS.ORG FOLDING TEAM
>>>>>>>>>1,000,000 POINTS<<<<<<<<<
dougsherwood1320
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby aceadrian1 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:24 am

I started up a voicecomm program with my mates and started talking into my mic. I realised that they seemed to be neglecting me and not replying to anything I said. Still I persisted for about 10 minutes, before I realised that I was talking into the wrong mic... I'd got the other one plugged in. So I'd been talking to myself for 10 minutes :oops:
aceadrian1
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby S33K3R » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:28 am

aceadrian1 wrote:I started up a voicecomm program with my mates and started talking into my mic. I realised that they seemed to be neglecting me and not replying to anything I said. Still I persisted for about 10 minutes, before I realised that I was talking into the wrong mic... I'd got the other one plugged in. So I'd been talking to myself for 10 minutes :oops:

:? :roll: :? :roll: :? :roll: :?
I guess you didn't read the entire thread
S33K3R
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support