Embarassing installation faults...that others should avoid!

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Copper » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:41 pm

EmilyB wrote:
Davek804 wrote:doesnt win xp tell you you have caps lock on whenever entering a password, installing or not?

Well only if you are paying attention and not being stuburn and big-headed like I was. I failed to notice any on-screen messages or the lights on my keyboard, and I felt thoroughly stupid when I realised.

uncalled for :x
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby Toby B. » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:17 pm

Venom wrote:
EmilyB wrote:
Davek804 wrote:doesnt win xp tell you you have caps lock on whenever entering a password, installing or not?

Well only if you are paying attention and not being stuburn and big-headed like I was. I failed to notice any on-screen messages or the lights on my keyboard, and I felt thoroughly stupid when I realised.

uncalled for :x

When installing XP all that is mentioned about passwords, that they are CaSe SeNsItIvE, IIRC
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby EmilyB » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:04 am

Toby B. wrote:When installing XP all that is mentioned about passwords, that they are CaSe SeNsItIvE, IIRC

Yes like I said before there are some obvious signs, keyboard lights, and the notification on screen, but as I say I am known to be stuburn and big-headed sometimes and ignore all the warnings :oops: So I just kept plugging away and typing in the password regardless, until it was physically pointed out to me that I should stop and think about what I was actually doing :roll: .
EmilyB

Mistakes

Postby JeffM » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:39 am

It nice to hear that other folks make mistakes, I am not saying I haven't made any yet, I am taking it real slow and everything I do is checked by another tech person.
At the present I am just installing my cpu and memory and then the board goes in and all those little damn connectors !! I have a good magnifying glass and a good bright light. More later!
Formula One, traveling to Montreal, bass fishing
hockey, computers.
Antec P160, Enermax 460, Intel D865PERLK,2.8E, 1gig Kingston 3200
JeffM
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Mistakes

Postby EmilyB » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:49 am

JeffM wrote:It nice to hear that other folks make mistakes, I am not saying I haven't made any yet, I am taking it real slow and everything I do is checked by another tech person.
At the present I am just installing my cpu and memory and then the board goes in and all those little damn connectors !! I have a good magnifying glass and a good bright light. More later!

Just take your time. Plenty of coffee or Tea or whatever suits you best, and just one step at a time. The worst mistake many people make (myself included) is they install everything in altogether and when it doesnt POST they have an unbelievable time of trying to find the origin of a fault. When I built my system, it took me more than 6 months to complete, so my opinion is that there is no sense in rushing anything just take your time, and use www.motherboards.org as a firm base for all your questions and concerns.

Good luck :)
EmilyB

Postby snap355 » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:25 am

Good luck to ya Jeff!
snap355
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby ouch » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:30 pm

I had this happen to me back in the early win 98 days...

I just wanted to put more ram in my computer so I unpluged it and took the coveroff, slid the ram in it and put the cover back on. (the key here is the speed at which I did this :) )

I turned it on and the hardrive did a scary click noise, the fans made about 5 revolutions then stopped, the light on the front came on then quickly shut off. then silence insued... "oh no I fried it!!!" I thought.

I took that side cover back off I was superman on crack :) I looked for that tel-tale black dust (yeah you've seen that stuff before don't lie :) ) I couldn't find anything. then I took a whiff of the air, "no burned electronics smell?", what the?

I looked in the back and I forgot to plug it back in. :roll:

stupid capaciters... what do they need those in there for anyway. :) lol
ouch
ouch
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby jimmylad007 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:46 am

Oh and please make sure you have the power button and reset button wired up the right way round rather than standing there pressing the power button for half an hour then realising it's connected to reset. :wink:
jimmylad007
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Robyn » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:16 pm

I've done a couple, although luckily nothing expensive

Forgot the power to the video card- but it still gets enough juice to put a note on the screen reminding me.

Managed to connect the floppy drive power backwards. Not sure how, but nothing would boot, Took it all apart and had it sitting on cardboard but failed to disconnect the power to the drive so I didn't figure it out for a long time. Was shorting out the PSU. I also managed to spill glue on the motherboard. It was okay though albeit I did spend a while chipping it off.

Boyfriend's roomie was installing his HSF on an xp3000+ and managed to get it on backwards and with no thermal grease..... hmm wonder why the alarm kept sounding....Nothing was hurt, though.

However I am eternally afraid and respectful as I don't trust myself.

And I find that rum makes the process go smoother (no problems when rum involved)
Robyn
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby Reptilian_Storm » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:27 am

Yesterday whilst building a rig for a friend i had a slight accident..

Booted up the PC and it only reconised 512 or 1024mb of ram....i carried on booting and thought nothing of it.

Then i got a horrible smell of something like bleach/burning. Quickly turned the pc off to have a look what was going in and i hadnt pushed one of the ram sticks all the way in.

I put it back in properly and booted. Luckily all was fine.

Noob mistake i'll never do agian.
Reptilian_Storm
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support