Embarassing installation faults...that others should avoid!

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby trexntx » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:51 pm

oneballjay wrote:OK I feel like an a*shole.The only shred of dignity I can pull from this instance of stupidity is the fact that it is a new house and don't know which outlets are controlled by the wall switch (so not use to it yet).So with that being said..cough..cough..just posted the other day about looking for a controller card and also threw in the problem that my Sony monitor of 4 years crapped out.Well before loading it up to throw in the trash decided what the hell and plugged it in...a miracle..it worked...wait a second..let me try something...the wall switch..now it don't work..DUH.For some reason a light switch on the wall controls not 1 but 2 outlets..and the top outlet on both..strange..but do I feel stupid the monitor was 2 steps away from the dumpster.So something as simple as an electrical outlet connected to a wall switch can cause this much embarrassment.

Don't worry. That won't be the last time somebody makes that error. Just be thankful you figured out the problem. :wink:
Antec NeoHE 550
AMD 64 X2 4600+
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE
Corsair XMS (2X512)
Maxtor SATA (2x300GB) RAID 0
trexntx
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Postby kltsin » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:26 pm

Hmm
12 years ago...
Because of a upcoming xmas party I had to use my sons room to work on my old pc (166mhz) (g/f didnt like the clutter). So I cleared his desk off, unplugged his lamp and went to work on it.
I was flashing the bios, left the room for 3 seconds.

I heard my son say, "Lena (my daughter) why did you put tape on my light switch, I took it off and the light still doesnt work.

I dropped to my knees immediatly.

So point is never use switched outlets, I had duct tape on that one and it still didnt help.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby kltsin » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:20 pm

Back on topic though of building.

When I built my first tower, no one ever said the facade could be removed.
They still dont 15 years later...
Ever try FORCING a optical drive in from inside the case?

It gets worse..

I was building a system for myself. (keyword is myself)
I was eager to get it running and inserted the cdrom without the quickrelease rails that were supposed to hold the cdrom in place.
It was a epox 8rda+ mobo in an antec case with a door to hide the drives.
So i had the cdrom hanging past the case so I could hold it while I pushed the close button, I inserted a XP install disk and began installing.

XP asked for the product key and while looking for it, upset I couldnt find it in my mess of opened boxes and manuals I slammed the antec door shut.
This pushed the cdrom drive inside the case and through 1 capacitor and 2 dimm slots completely tearing them from the powered on motherboard.

Sparks flew, you could smell that electrical burn odor that scares all of us.

And as most of these posts go the system did run for 3 years with a single dim and alot of tweezer action to separate the dimm pins and reseat the capacitor.
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Toby B. » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:11 am

interesting stuff there kltsin!! 8O
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby CDBurner » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:21 am

I made a minor but rather embarrasing mistake yesterday. I was re-building a computer after replacing the north bridge heatsink, and when I hit the power button after installing the basic parts (CPU, heatsink, graphics, RAM, etc), nothing happened. I checked to make sure the PSU was turned on, the power switch connector was on right, etc, but it still didn't work. It finally occurred to me that I hadn't plugged in the 20-pin ATX power cable. I guess that's the reason to not build computers when tired... :lol:
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby kltsin » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:13 pm

Toby B. wrote:interesting stuff there kltsin!! 8O

Yeah that was alot of fun :oops: 8O :roll: :wink:

hey Im Irish, let the anger get the best of me..
kltsin
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby EmilyB » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:54 am

Well this one has got to be the winner :oops:

About an hour ago, I tried to put the finishing touches to my WindowsXP installation thus being a password for my account. Easy enough you may think, well...

I set it all up everything went well and then I rebooted to try it out. It boots upto the password prompt and I enter my password and..."INVALID" 8O WTF!!! 8O So I try again..."INVALID" 8O WTF!!! 8O and one more time..."INVALID" 8O WTF!!! 8O

Ok so now Im thinking all sorts. Did someone change something whilst I wasnt looking? No thats impossible because I never left it unattended. So whats going on :cry: :cry: :cry: I switch everything off and go and have a cup of tea just to calm down. I go back to it and enter my password a forth time..."INVALID" 8O WTF!!! 8O Ok so now we have tears and real frustration, then Amelia says to me, "Try messing with Caps Lock". I laugh at the thought of it because how could I be so stupid as to do that. But it doesnt hurt to try, and...Yes indeed when I set the password in WindowsXP I must have had Caps Lock on!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
EmilyB

Postby Davek804 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:12 pm

doesnt win xp tell you you have caps lock on whenever entering a password, installing or not?
"We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey."
Davek804
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby EmilyB » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:29 pm

Davek804 wrote:doesnt win xp tell you you have caps lock on whenever entering a password, installing or not?

Well only if you are paying attention and not being stuburn and big-headed like I was. I failed to notice any on-screen messages or the lights on my keyboard, and I felt thoroughly stupid when I realised.
EmilyB

Postby Copper » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:39 pm

Davek804 wrote:doesnt win xp tell you you have caps lock on whenever entering a password, installing or not?

no
"Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,and Im not sure about the former." Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Copper
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support