Live! Value Digital out

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

inteljunky
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Live! Value Digital out

Post by inteljunky »

This is my second attempt to get the digital out to work on this card. I tried it once and I think i got part of a signal.... i dont have the live drive so i have that phono plug in the back there... what wires/adapters do i need to hook it up to the coaxial input of my receiver?
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Karlsweldt »

A good-quality video cable with RCA or "phono" plugs should do it. Check the program disk for the Live! sound card. You will find some PDF files on it, which explain how to use the feature. Using a standard phono cable will degrade the digital signal to the point where it is unreadable, frequency-wise. Stay with a minimum length for "echo" or standing-wave avoidance.
inteljunky
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by inteljunky »

thanks dude! i dont know, however, where to find a 'video quality' phono plug.... but ill look
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Karlsweldt »

The big difference in "phono" leads and video leads is the contsruction of the cable, and sometimes the plug ends. Video cable is capable of carrying high-frequency signals for great distance, and is shielded better for protection against outside interference. Usually the type RG-6 or RG-45 is used (your home CATV or SATV system). With standard "phono" cables, you have a maximum frequency of 20 Khz; with video or digital signals you go up to 6 Mhz or better. The ends of quality video cables and a brand called "Monster" cables for audio have gold-plated connectors to reduce noise and interference. With standard audio in analog form, some noise is tolerated. With digital, there can be no noise factor. Use the minimum length required for your hookup. Compare the specs for the transmitting unit and the recieving unit, to ensure they both use the same type of signal standard or data transfer, akin to FTP or ITP. Some years ago Mac had a home computer which had a composite video output to a monitor..it used a "phono" type cable, but the cable was designed for high-frequency digital signals. Use of a standard audio cable caused wierd display results!