New comp build problem

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Guthix2007
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by Guthix2007 »

no theres no slide switch for it oh and i should have pointed out if it helps i'm from the UK :)

shall i just try and boot it with the video card installed and nothing else ?

just to see that the cpu is fine
inteljunky
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by inteljunky »

could the bios be set to use the PCI vid card instead of AGP? some boards come default like that
Guthix2007
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by Guthix2007 »

i cant get into the bios to find out theres no image on screen read my earlier post
inteljunky
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Post by inteljunky »

I read it. what I said was to try putting a PCI card in it and flip it to use the agp port, save config then put your agp card back in. some boards are set to initially look for a pci video card, and will NOT display on agp until the bios is changed
Matrixfan2004 wrote:no there is no beeps either its so weird it powers up and the cd rom light and the hdd light is on like all the time it dont go off
but this here i didnt read well, this makes me think that my above sugesstion is not quite the problem... ya i would unplug every thing except one stick of ram and the vid card and see what it does, oh also, if it still does it, change out your ram with other stick

and the 230v is not how much power it is pulling, check for a W or watts(J/s)
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by CDBurner »

Also, try booting with no RAM at all. If there's not a beeping sound, something's probably wrong with the mobo, power supply, or CPU.

Regarding the video, I don't think that the BIOS setting for PCI or AGP makes much difference if you have only one video card. Its only real purpose (as far as I know) is to determine which is the primary display card if you have two graphics cards: an AGP card and a PCI card.
[email protected] Fighting diseases every second. Join us! https://foldingathome.org/
Guthix2007
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by Guthix2007 »

ok i tried booting with no ram and no hdd only the video card and keyboard and mouse connected i still get no beeps

maybe i should take everything out and start again or perhaps i didnt install the cpu correctly :/

can someone give me a guide to installing the cpu, i followed a guide on a site.
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by CDBurner »

Here's some info on installing your CPU: http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/h ... 924_4.html

Also, try taking the parts outside the case and run them there (to check for a short circuit in the case). You can find how to do that here: viewtopic.php?t=39873
[email protected] Fighting diseases every second. Join us! https://foldingathome.org/
Guthix2007
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by Guthix2007 »

hey all

i've taking out everything to start again but before i do is there anyway to tell if items had been damaged or anything
CDBurner
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by CDBurner »

You could look for physical damage (cracks, scratches, burn marks, etc), but beyond that, the only way to tell if there is any damage is to test the components.
DrkGypsy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Post by DrkGypsy »

I've built about a dozen systems w/ this board w/very lil problems. Out of the 12 systems, 9 are overclocked, as well as BERTHA here. The k7s5a, and the k7s5a Pro (all versions) are very picky in regards to power supplies,memory and video cards. For some reason the newer ATI Radeons(9800xt,pro,9700xt,9600pro,9200se) either won't power up at start up or they freeze/lock up during POST. I run a Radeon 7000 multi-display ed. w/ no problems or freeze ups. nVidia based cards work very good on the other hand.Our boards also will not boot w/ most kingston memory, either the ddr or sdram. Also keep in mind that you cannot use both sdram (pc100,pc133) and ddr (pc1600,pc2100,pc2700) at the same time. It must be 1 or the other. And lower end psu'sdon't play well the these ecs boards. Stick to well known manufacterers. (Crucial, Mushkin, Vantec, etc.)
pub140.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforum <is all about the k7s5a Pro and non Pro boards
Athlon [email protected]
ECS K7S5A oc021029a HONEY X Bios
512MB PC2100 Mushkin Enh DDR
ATI Radeon 9800
Maxtor 120G HD
Maxtor 160G ex HD
Hitachi DVD 7500
LG 8080B
Scythe Kamakaze
5 Smrt Cse Fans
ruekills.com<---lil sis's band