The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:48 am

Post subject: computer won't boot
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:54 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I'm running an Asus M3N78 Pro board with dual core AMD Athlon 64x2 3.0ghz pocessor. I have stripped it down to just the board, processor, cooling fan, and heatsink. No ram or other peripherals other than qwerty keyboard and vga monitor connected to the vga output from the board.

The problem is that the unit will start but will only run for about 5 seconds (not long enough to get into bios setup mode) and then shut down and wait a second or two and continue this same process repeatedly. It will continue this process for as long as it is powered up.

Any ideas or thoughts on solving the problem will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks for looking.....lamarjr (Lamar Bailey)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:25 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

What is the brand/model of the power supply and how old is it? Has this system ever worked before?

Post subject: mPBP WON'T BOOT...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:17 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Dear Evasive, Thanks for your prompt reply. I have tried three different power supplies....the latest being an Antec 650 watt. This system has not been run before and the mobo is new (one I had on the bench. Also I have tried 3 differeny processors....al with the same results. I find it hard to believe that all three power supplies and all 3 processsors are bad. I called Asus about this and they offered no help (said they couldn't repair or rma this board) Anyway, I guess I will have to but another Socket A board to find out if it is, in fact, a problem with the board. If you have a better suggestion, please advise.....Lamar

Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:33 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

I think trying another board can give you a better idea of what is wrong, in the mean time, try the cheap/easy fix of replacing the CMOS battery with a new fresh one and make sure the board is not shorted out somewhere, and there's nothing connected to the reset button pins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:35 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Quote:
..No ram or other peripherals..

Motherboards require memory to enable operation. No on-board memory, no space to form or store parameters for operation. Try using just one memory module that is compatible to the CPU needs (bus speed and voltage). Should provide a bootable platform to access the BIOS. The system does not need a boot path to begin operation, but will show error messages of "no bootable media found". A keyboard hard-wired (plugged in) is default. Once the BIOS settings are created, a USB keyboard will be recognized.. but maybe not before the feature is active.
Have you looked over all the capacitors on the motherboard for signs of domed tops, excess leaning or leakage? Could be the "bad caps" syndrome that has affected electronics. More info at www.badcaps.net/
Having a POST diagnostics card is desired in no-start conditions. It will display a two-character code step for the POST process. Any character set that "hangs" is a clue to where to first start sleuthing. Some POST diagnostics cards are not expensive.. but others are, geared toward the pro tech.