Help!! Going crazy with Win98SE and Gigabyte GA-8INXP + AGP

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

CarNut
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Help!! Going crazy with Win98SE and Gigabyte GA-8INXP + AGP

Post by CarNut »

Hello,

Try not to laugh. I can't get Windows 98SE to work with a simple set-up: Gigabyte GA-8INXP (P4 with E7208 chipset); GV-R128DH (Radeon AGP8, 128Mb, Dual output-unused); 1Gb Dual Channel RAM; 1 Disk, 1 CD; No PCI cards. The hardware seems okay but the AGP Video is causing hassle - I'm stuck in VGA mode 640x480.

In case you're wondering. I keep Win98SE because of my pile of purchased software. Okay, here's the basic story: I've followed the (useless) instructions in both Gigabyte manuals to the letter; I've tried the delivered CD drivers and newer downloaded drivers, but without any success. The problem seems quite fundamental and seems to centre on AGP resources.

I have the BIOS set to use AGP and all RAID stuff disabled, to keep life simple. So, after installing Win98SE on its own, I get:

System->Device Manager shows the following problems:
----------------------------------------------------
- Standard PCI Graphics Adapter {Display Adapters:1st in list}
"The problem is with the main display adapter."

- Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) {Display Adapters:2nd in list}
"I/O Range 0000-00FF used by motherboard resources"
"I/O Range 0000-00FF used by standard 101/102-key keyboard"
"Memory range 00000000-07FFFFFFF used by system board extension for ACPI BIOS"

....so after installing the motherboard chipset; ATI Video; and network drivers I get...

- Radeon 9200, Driver 9-30-2003 {Display Adapters:1st in list}
"I/O Range 0000-00FF used by motherboard resources"
"I/O Range 0000-00FF used by standard 101/102-key keyboard"
"Memory range 00000000-07FFFFFFF used by system board extension for ACPI BIOS"

- Radeon 9200 Secondary, Driver 9-30-2003{Display Adapters:2nd in list}
"The loaders for this device cannot load the required drivers"

- Intel E7205 Chipset Host Controller 255D, Driver 8-20-2002
"Memory range E8000000-EFFFFFFF used by Intel E7000 series PCI to AGP controller - 2552"

Oops, I just remembered, the default Win98SE drivers for the 'chipset host controller' also generated the same conflict with the default 'PCI to AGP controller'.

So hey, I'm in need of some tips on where to go from here. Any advice would be very, very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this long message.

1) So, am I wasting my time completely? (Will it NEVER work with Win98?)
2) Do I need any special BIOS settings?
3) Any idea of the correct installation sequence?

Thanks a million.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Post by Mr T »

The intel E7208 chipset had major compatability issues with Radeon cards. I think that is where your issue lies... It should work well with win98SE (not win98)... USB2 may cause some problems under win98se, on one of my setups with the abit NF7-S I used the win2k drivers for USB2 and the onboard LAN and that seemed to work...

I would try an nVidia based graphics card if you can and see if that resolves the issue... Win98SE is still a good OS, basic, but good.. Oh and HT under win98SE is definately not supported...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Karlsweldt »

Remove all video drivers and the device from the control panel, then reboot. Try reinstalling the video drivers, from the CD, as the manufacturer's program designates. Have the disk in the CD drive on reboot. If Win 98SE still has issues with the drivers, then force Windows to accept the driver. It may state that "the best driver is already installed" and will refuse to accept the new driver. Look in the CD with your browser, and find the folder for "Win9x" and look specifically for Win 98SE files, one that will be marked *.inf. Stubborn, "Like a mule that is dying of thirst, and you have to almost drown it in water go get it to drink". You could copy the *.inf file for the driver to your hdd root, and rename it to the driver that Windows is looking for, such as the specific model. Also can be done through "add new hardware" after the fruitless search for PNP devices, and you point to the specific device you have. Takes time, but will prove out after a frew tries.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by evasive »

Sigh. Load chipset drivers first before trying to install anything else...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
jmstacey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by jmstacey »

In the bios you need to set the main graphics setting (whatever the name is) to pci instead of agp. do than and install drives then install the card as evasive said

-Jon-

ot:
USB2 may cause some problems under win98se
I've never gotten usb2 to work on my board no matter what i do :?
My website
[url]http://www.jmstacey.net[/url]
Southwind25
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Post by Southwind25 »

98SE also only supports 512mb of RAM. I notice you have 1024.
[img]http://www.motherboards.org/sig/sig3/33258/Southwind25/sig.jpg[/img]
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Post by Mr T »

98SE also only supports 512mb of RAM. I notice you have 1024
Good spot, I was blinded by Radeon and the E7208 chipset...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mark H
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by Mark H »

As far as the 512 barrier, look at this:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1386899,00.asp
I have a photographic memory, only problem is, I ran out of film.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by evasive »

jmstacey wrote: I've never gotten usb2 to work on my board no matter what i do :?
All it takes is installing the proper USB 2.0 drivers for your chipset. What board were you having trouble with?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
CarNut
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Post by CarNut »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the tips. In fact, I think I've already tried out all your suggestions before I posted my plea for help. I've tried BIOS set to PCI instead of AGP; I've tried 512Mb and Vcache max; I always do the chipset drivers first; and I've become a whizz on pushing video drivers into Win98SE. Maybe I just need the right combination...so I'll give it another few tries and if it doesn't work, well its impact technology time. I'll post again if I get it working, to help some other sucker. Thank you all again for taking the time to think about it and for writing in.

By the way, am I the only guy on the planet with a Gigabyte 8INXP and Win98SE? It sure feels lonely out here... See ya.