Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

ranger16701columbus
Initiate
Initiate

Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop

Post by ranger16701columbus »

Hi everyone.
It has been a while since I have been in this forum. As always. I come here for help. I am looking for suggestions this time.
Last summer, I purchased an Acer Predator Series Helio 300 Gaming laptop. It is pretty decked out, but I did not buy it because of the gaming. I purchased it because I am a disabled veteran in the VA's vocation rehabilitation program and I am enrolled on an online accelerated bachelor's program...from nothing to a bachelor's in 2 and a half years. This is two classes every five weeks and no days off between any classes. I do a LOT of remote lab work in this course of instruction. Most times, I need to have the lab open in one window and the lab (either packet tracer or vCastle) in the other window. I finally was able to get a hold of two monitors and an HP USB-C docking station with one HDMI, two DIsplay Ports, one USB-C port, and three USB ports. Sadly, after hooking everything up today, the laptop did not find either of the monitors. The laptop has three USB ports, but for the connection to the external monitors, all there is is one USB-C port and one HDMI port on the laptop. A little more research revealed that the Helios 300 laptop, although a great laptop, does not have support through the USB-C port for video....only data. Thus, the only alternative is to use the laptop's HDMI port for the dual monitors. From what I had read thus far, this laptop was never set up to support duel monitors.
I read all sorts of ideas others had received when they ran into the same problem when they were attempting to set up dual monitors on their Acer predator Helios 300 laptop. Most comments were that there was nothing you can do. Some suggested that you could use an HDMI splitter but that it would generate more heat from the laptop's CPU when you hook up two monitors to it using a splitter. Although I am almost done with my degree, I still have a good 6 months to go and many, many labs that I'd like to use with two monitors. I know I most likely would not be able to use the extend feature in Windows 10, but that would have been my ultimate choice. I trust those in this forum, as you have not steered me wrong since I joined many years back.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can overcome this obstacle? Thanks in advance.