Motherboard doesn't recognize the CMOS Battery (I guess)

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

fhyaen
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Motherboard doesn't recognize the CMOS Battery (I guess)

Post by fhyaen »

I have an Asus z97-p motherboard. It works fine but if I try to make any bios settings changes, it won't boot. In order to make it boot I need to reset it with the jumper, then when the setup screen appears (after pressing f1... etc) if I exit without saving anything it boots and it works without any problems.

I can shutdown or restart the PC, it won't cause any problems. But if I press the reset button on the case, then it won't boot. As I said, if I make any changes to bios, it won't boot: a black screen with "-" will appear like

Code: Select all

- 
I tried replacing the CMOS battery. I tried two different brands, didn't work. :(

Anyone familiar with this problem? I can't find any equivalent motherboards where I live. Only available ones are H81s. I'd like to fix my motherboard if it's possible.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Motherboard doesn't recognize the CMOS Battery (I guess)

Post by evasive »

It is indeed reacting like it has a dead CMOS battery, the symptoms match. I suspect a bad contact somewhere in the battery holder, Please check the entire thing for any damge.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
fhyaen
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Post by fhyaen »

Turns out the problem had nothing to do with the motherboard, it's caused by my disks. Using ubuntu I erased my disks and changed their partition table to msdos. Everything is fixed.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by evasive »

LiveCD that you installed by accident? Or what exactly happened? This info may be useful to others.

Don't feel shy, I have broken more systems in more different sometimes idiotic ways than I can remember...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
fhyaen
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Post by fhyaen »

Well it started happening again. But this time turning off my PSU, waiting a few seconds and turning it back on makes my pc boot and I get to keep the changes I made in bios.
Interesting thing is, if I just erase all disks, create new partition tables, install and use ubuntu, then everything works perfectly. I'm able to make as many changes in bios as I want. But with Windows, it occasionally won't boot exactly the way I described. So maybe it has something to do with things like fast boot or secure boot? I don't know.

I had os x and linux installations on both ssds and I would see boot entries of those systems in bios. I thought it had something to do with them. I'm planning to buy an nvme ssd just to see what happens.

I'll also note all changes I made since I opened this thread:
-I changed my GPU and PSU (just an upgrade)
-I got rid of my 1TB HDD (because hdd vibration) so I only have two ssds at the moment.