The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:58 am

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:57 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

One never knows. Not too long ago my mother went through no less than 4 machines before finally agrreing on an issue with the DVD player in them. Tried an external one: bingo, issue solved. I don't know what it was, I just know they finally got her a system with a working DVD/Blu Ray reader/writer and we never looked back. Acer and HP systems...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:21 am 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

The drives work fine I have used both as far as reading and writing, it's what is or isn't happening outside of Windows.

Anyone else chime in here?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:41 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

I forgot to tell the other thing we did which was switching brand of the actual media... From Philips to Verbatim. Even though they have been using Philips blanks for years without a problem... Just sayin...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:05 pm 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Check your BIOS Boot settings.

Make sure:
OS Type is on Default which is Other OS.
Boot Mode selection is set to default which is UEFI and Legacy.

If you can only boot from older (legacy) operating systems as in your list, the boot mode selection in the BIOS is most likely at fault - all new 64bit operating systems will support a UEFI boot, it is just a matter of setting the BIOS away from a Windows8 or Windows10 boot (ASUS call it secure boot, I cannot see what Gigabyte call it but their BIOS seems to default away from a win8/10 boot).

Yet to some people I still know nothing...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:33 pm 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

It's set to 'Other'. There is a Win8 choice.
It's not that I can't boot from these other programs, they start to load, but fail either partway thru, or complete, there is no GUI. The best example is this SeatoolsUSB that stopped at a TinyCore prompt.
I really don't see how the optical drive comes into play. It just read out data. Assuming it's the video card, that only tells me it's the programmer(s) that had a very narrow scope in mind. Anti-AMD.

Anyone disagrees with that feel free to prove me wrong on my assumption.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:09 pm 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is the AMD video card. Newer versions of the Linux Kernel dropped support for some strange reason for AMD (ATI) graphics that were not legacy. This caused a lot of issues amongst the Linux community with work rounds etc.

Try replacing the video card and see what happens.

I would install the hard drive, initialize it in Windows and transfer your data. It won't fail. Being Seagate though it will fail about 3 years down the road as happened to all my 3Tb Seagate drives - thats why I moved all storage to Hitachi NAS and WD Red drives, even on my systems.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:10 am 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

I was thinking about doing a MB upgrade, but I shouldn't have to,. This is only 3 years old, not the latest & greatest, but surely not outdated. AFA replacing the video card, Yes I could, but clearly that shouldn't be necessary due to these anti-AMD wonders out there (if that actually is the problem). What I really need is a stronger processor, but what is there is almost at the top of what can put put there (FX8350). The couple of processors above that have little to offer as far as performance. :wink: Those "Threadrippers' are too expensive and besides that a different socket type other than the mainstream AM4 (ridiculous that AMD is running 2 socket types at once, I don't remember them ever doing that before).
I plan on installing the drive, I have been running it outside the tower for a few days now and I see no issues. I just want to be sure since it will hold a lot of data and xfer times is hours.

BTW, that one program I listed is new (2018), so some current programs do work ok.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:58 am 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

AMD have been running various CPU platforms in parallel, much like INTEL. You Have AM1, FM2 and AM3 all running in parallel. The AM4 Ryzens, have given Intels i5 a good run for their money.

As for Gigabyte, bit hit and miss, especially the way they 'revise' their boards, I have two AM3 boards that are Rev 1.0 which badly buggy BIOS's, no support for AM3+, yet the Rev 2 supports AM3+... I have not had this issue with ASrock or ASUS boards.

I won't spend any more on the AM3 platform now, but do a full upgrade to Ryzen and DDR4. I do however go back and repurpose older hardware which is good fun, however I digress....

If you have an old PCI-e card that is not ATI or AMD, slot that in and try running the newer programs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:14 am 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

I should of clarify that I was mostly referring to mainstream (for lack of a better term) processor sockets.
Both of my Towers have AM3+ based MB's with AMD (former ATI) video cards. I have no other. I may have a source for one I'll see if I can borrow. Good suggestion, it would narrow down the video card possibility. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:45 pm 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

If you're still having problems with only what is using the optical drives, I would highly recommend getting an older (simpler?) drive if you can find one.

My last build I couldn't load Windows because for whatever reason my newer drive wouldn't read the media - I pulled out an ancient 4x/8x dvdr I had in my back room under 8 years of dust, and it ran like a dream. Beat my head against the wall for something like 2 hours on that one.

-R

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury