The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:02 am

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:33 pm 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

I have had more than one bootable program not work or not load in one form or another possibly due the their GUI interface not loading winding up with blank screen.

Currently SeaToolsBootable USB only produces what appears to be a TinyCore command line which you cab barely read. I tried more than once and the same thing. I have had this happen with programs loaded from a bootable CD. I am assuming these are just more programs that haven't been tested on AMD machines due to this 'Wintel' sudo-monopoly mentality that everyone only runs Wintel, unless someone else has a better idea. Either video and/or USB drivers or lack of would be my guess.

Since whatever O/S I'm running that is or should be immaterial since it's not being booting from. Mind you it's not all, some work fine. This really sucks since I'm troubleshooting a problem of one sort or another using these boot programs, the last thing I want to do is troubleshoot poorly written programs! PDT_Armataz_01_19

The MB is Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P. It's a UEFI MB, but it's NOT enabled.

Last edited by videobruce on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:38 pm 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

Seagates tools download page is here;
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Their 'Legacy' tools do not work on SATA drives.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:22 am 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

What are you trying to do?

Are you running Windows and opening a program up to a blank screen?

What's the full hardware specs of the machine?

What operating system? What software? (If its windows 7, may be hardwire and driver support issue)

Have you tried basic troubleshooting, upgraded video card drivers, run benchmark tests (like 3dMark, Furmark)?

Yet to some people I still know nothing...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:42 am 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

The title clearly states "bootable" which makes whatever O/S I'm running immaterial (since it doesn't load) as I also stated. Now, what that bootable SG program runs, since it ends up with a TinyCore prompt, I have to assume it's a flavor of Linux, but I'm not a Linux guy so I could be wrong.

If you must know about the O/S I'm running when I actually boot into that, it's Win 7 Pro x64, but since that is not in the 'mix' whatever that supports or doesn't, again doesn't matter. The 'other' H/W I'm running on that MB is a AMD Radeon R7 260 video card. Since it's a AM3+ based MB, the processor is AMD's FX series (8350).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:43 am 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

AFA what I'm tiring to do, is test a new SG HDD outside of Windows.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:24 am 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

TinyCore is a very basic form of Linux that you can easily customize to what you need it to do, it runs from RAM.

If you want to TEST a hard drive outside of windows, you can use better tools than what Seagate have to offer. You can download a live (install to a USB stick or burn ISO to DVD/CD)Linux distribution that you don't need to install to the hard drive like Ubuntu and test it with that using Gparted. You can also use a Gparted based operating system like Gparted live which is free (I recommend the 64bit version) and runs in RAM. I paid for Parted Magic which has a plethora of tools to test hard drives and SSD/USB/SD cards.
I have found though that drives that will work fine in Linux (inc. Linux desktops) and have failed in windows, will always fail in windows (I have a very expensive machine that will zero out the drive which fixes some errors but not all). It is also not dependent on the CPU platform.

If the drive is new why are you testing it? Have you set it up in Windows or tried to? If you want to test it in Windows, use EaseUS Partition Master free where you can run a surface test on the drive.

Yet to some people I still know nothing...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:13 pm 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

It's a new drive that I want to make sure it's ok before I actually install it and load around 2TB of data. I prefer to do that once.
Manufactures HDD programs are also used to confirm or deny failures for warranty claims.
I do have 3rd party programs including Linux based (which I would prefer).
Lastly, I also have EaseUS Partition Master which I did discover it does have a surface test function which I believe it didn't before nor did MiniTool Partition Wizard unless I missed both. Since they are 'partition' tools, one wouldn't normally look for options such as surface testing. :wink:

But none of that really solves the issue why many of these 'bootable' programs don't work in one form or another, I believe due to thoughtlessness of the coder(s). This isn't a one processor world, or it shouldn't be. This platform is only a few years old and still current. I'm not running something from Win98SE (my 1st O/S and probably the worst).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:24 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

What distro's/bootable stuff have you tried so far? Most of this stuff is x86 or amd64 compatible. That's right, AMD wrote a better x64 extension so that's what is used. I would be surprised to find something x86 compatible not running on your board. Sounds more like a problem with the graphics card or the medium (CD/DVD or USB thumb drive) itself.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:50 am 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

These work;
AllInOne System Rescue ToolKit 2018 (Lubuntu)
Parted Magic 2013 (Linux 3.8 )
Parted Magic 2012 (Linux 3.5)
MiniTool Partition Wizard v10.33 (WinPE)
Seagate Seatools v12.06 (legacy program)
MiniTool partition Wizard v8.1
True Image 2014
True Image 2019 (only x86 works)
memory test v7.3

These don't work (for one reason or another)
Ultimate Boot CD v5.36 (3/18)
Hitachi Drive Fitness test v4.16 (this use to work on a same chipset ASRock MB)
Hitachi Feature Tool v2.15
MiniTool partition Wizard PE v10 (I thought this use to work also)
Hirens Boot CD v1.0.1 x64

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:07 am 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

I will add, these are all on optical disks, not USB thumb drives. That Seagate program I listed in the OP was on a thumb drive.

One thing I just thought about, the couple of programs that I thought use to work, but don't now, when I built this PC 3 years ago, both optical drives were just DVD. A year or so ago I upgrade one of the two to BluRay and in the lat month I upgraded the other. Two different manufactures. I wonder if that is why those have problems? :?