The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:08 am

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:22 pm 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

:mb_help1:: Dropped USB External Hard Drive :mb_help1::

:( My hard drive fell off a table near my computer about a week ago. It fell three feet onto a carpet covered wood floor. The USB plug that goes into the drive was bent. It was easily bent back into place.

The drive was starting up fine for a while. Yesterday it was clicking. Today all it wants to do is play "hide n seek". Windows notifies that the drive is added, then it leaves, comes back, etc.

I tried to scan it, and Windows 10 froze/crash. The only way to unfeeze Windows 10 is to restart or unplug the USB from the Hard Drive.

Is there any chance to save the drive itself, with another external enclosure or connecting internal?
Retrieving the files?
Repairing the drive?

Is this drive shot, or can it be somehow saved? :?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:19 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Any hard drive that hits the floor can be damaged, if mechanical in design. The heavier the drive, the more probability of damage to the disks and heads. If the drive was operating at the time of the 'crash', then very likely serious damage. But if not working, possibly some damage. You note the USB plug was bent. Could be a clue there as to the problem, damaged circuit board connections.
I would take the drive out of the case, try another known-good case. If still the same problem, then fatal damage has come to the drive. If now working OK, save off all data that you can and do a diagnostics on the drive with a good program, such as Seagate® Sea Tools® which might repair or mask minor faults. But if bad sectors are found, time for a new drive.
Easy to find a case for a USB drive by itself. Just ensure it meets your USB port standards. Laptop (2.5") drives typically only need +5 volts power, maximum 500 mA. But the case interface may need a few more milliamps. Maximum USB port output is 500 mA for USB 1 and USB 2. USB 3 maxes out at around 900 mA. If the USB port power is exceeded, then possibly stability problems with the entire system.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:32 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Ok here is a little more background of this HDD. Since I've had it (2yrs+), this drive on occasion would disappear from Devices/Drives listing. Unplugging, then replugging the USB cable brought it back. But it never clicked.

TOSHIBA
DWC 130 3TB
P/N: HDWC130XK3J1
FAC: PF
DC+12v ... 2.0A 04/15

Yesterday when the drive was clicking, it was just on. The drive was not be utilized. The pattern was something like this:

click..............20secs later.... click..............20secs later.... click..............20secs later.... click..............20secs later.... click..............20secs later.... click..............20secs later.... click..............20secs later.... click

After those clicks it didn't click anymore. But the drive seemed to be working ok when it was being used.

Prior to posting this my PC was off. So I tried to give the Drive another chance. I plugged in the USB cable, and started up my PC. My PC seemed to startup fine. But as it was loading my desktop it stopped at a blank/black screen.
So I unplugged the USB from the drive. Then the desktop went to normal. My PC is running as normal. I went to "This PC". Both my Internal HDDs & DVDRW are listed.

I tried my USB HDD again. After plugging it in, I refreshed "This PC". The External HDD didn't even show. While this morning it was showing, but it couldn't be accessed. It just froze my PC, until I unplugged it.

Could it just be the USB connection is broken inside? When the drive fell the USB cable was plugged in. The metal part of the USB cable was bent at the base.
My drive looks similar to this one. It's on the hefty side.

Worth trying a new case or connection?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:16 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

So you have a 3.5" 'standard' drive in an enclosure, not the smaller 2.5" 'laptop' model in an enclosure. Big difference in weight there, but per Newton's Law, should not be much difference in speed of falling. But the extra weight takes a lot of inertia with it, and can land harder with more damage.
From what you describe, the drive has a problem with spinning up and self-ID process. Likely the interface board in the enclosure has suffered critical damage. Best and easiest would be to slave the drive into a working setup. Otherwise, get a new enclosure with its own power supply. Really doubt that replacement parts are available for the older enclosure.
If the drive spins up and self-ID process is good, then save off whatever data you can. If no spin up, then an old trick.. hold the drive between your palms like a sandwich, give a few quick twists in one direction on the axis of the disks. This should relieve friction contact between the heads and disks, and it should then be working again. A new USB cable is recommended, if the connector end got bent. Could be a short in either the data leads or power leads of the old one. Test on another USB device.
If not, then maybe the only way to retrieve data is a recovery service.. which can be expensive.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:28 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Yeah, it's a regular HDD. Like I stated the drive fell onto the USB plug bending it. After that initial hit it fell over like a domino. It seemed to work fine for a couple days afterwards.

I'm being hopeful that it's the USB connection board in the enclosure.

I opened the case and found this HDD:

Toshiba
DWC130 3TB
P/N: HDWC130XK3J1
FAC: PF
DC+12V ... 2.0A 04/15

Would either of these HDD Enclosures be a good match?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6817392075
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6817182347

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:17 am 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Remove the drive from the enclosure, put in a bag and seal. Stick it in the freezer, I usually leave it overnight. Get one of these: Drive Dock. Stick the drive in it and see if it reads. If it does recover your data as quickly as possible and bin the drive. Toshiba and Seagate have this really, really annoying thing with their USB drives of having some inbuilt security within the drive firmware and USB circuit board that prevents the drives from being accessed if stuck in a PC or external enclosure that's not theirs. The advantage of a dock over an enclosure is that you can easily use it for other drives.

Yet to some people I still know nothing...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:34 pm 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Will do. Hopefully one or the other solves my issue. Then I can scrap the drive.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:39 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Quote:
Remove the drive from the enclosure, put in a bag and seal. Stick it in the freezer, I usually leave it overnight. Get one of these: Drive Dock. Stick the drive in it and see if it reads. If it does recover your data as quickly as possible and bin the drive. Toshiba and Seagate have this really, really annoying thing with their USB drives of having some inbuilt security within the drive firmware and USB circuit board that prevents the drives from being accessed if stuck in a PC or external enclosure that's not theirs. The advantage of a dock over an enclosure is that you can easily use it for other drives.

Ok I have the Drive Dock. It's installed and sees my hard drive. When I try to access it, I get this message:

You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it.
Do you want to format it?
[Format disk][Cancel]

I'm trying to recover information, so I don't want to format, "yet". Would putting the drive in the freezer, bypass this problem? How, why? :?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:31 pm 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Ok, looks like the drive has corrupted and is in RAW format. If it is not clicking or making any unworldly noise, you don't need the freezer job. The data will be there, it is just a matter of recovering it. I use an old PC and Easus Recovery (Paid) for this. It takes time as the software runs deep scans on the drive to map all the files, collate them all and recover them. Another good program is Recuva. Bear in mind you have to purchase them as the free programs are generally limited to 100mb of data recovery. I have done this in Linux, but it involves the command line and fails a lot!

Yet to some people I still know nothing...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:00 am 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Easus Recovery vs Recuva??

What are the benefits of each? Do they do other useful things? Which one works better?
I tried the "free" versions to see if the files were reachable. One software found like 360 files.

The hard drive I need to work with is 3TB, but doesn't have anywhere near that of files on it.
I've read that I could possibly recover these files using a Linux Live DVD. So I downloaded a few ISO and burned the DVDs.

Is there any specific Linux Distro that does this easier?

Ubuntu
Zorin
Peppermint
LinuxMint (Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce)
Mageia (Gnome, Plasma, Xfce)

How do I go about recovering the files.

I booted the Ubuntu and it did see the external hard drive.

"Zorin" & "Mageia Gnome" both showed my hard drive as this:

375 GB Partition 1 / unknown
2.6TB Free Space
Partition Type: HPFS/NTFS (Bootable)
Contents: Unknown

"LinuxMint Xfce" also showed my hard drive but with this difference: Partition Type: HPFS/exFAT/NTFS (Bootable)

"LinuxMint Mate" seen my Toshiba Hard Drive but listed it as: unknown size/type/volume?

While the others didn't help at all. Well I couldn't find what I needed.

I seen options for repartition, fix partition, clone partition, copy partition, etc. If I could move it to another external hard drive it would be great. But the very least I would like to be able to see the files on it.

C: WIN10 BOOT
D: secondary drive
E: TOSHIBA external drive "NEED to SAVE" 3TB (It only has 375GB used on it, not all is needed. I just need to sort though the important stuff.)
F: DVDRW
G: MAXTOR external drive "for backup" 160GB

How do I go about getting Linux to be able to recognize the partition and read it? What steps do I take?

Or would something like TestDisk work better? How would I get this to work?
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk