HP Photosmart C4200 Series issue [RESOLVED]

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

HP Photosmart C4200 Series issue [RESOLVED]

Post by BIGMAN131307 »

I have a second hand HP Photosmart C4200 Series Printer/Scanner/Copier that I got a couple years ago.

So far I've used its Printer & Copier features with decent success. Just the usual printer outta ink B.S. Other than that no problems.

Now I'm working on a project that needs items scanned. But I can't get this thing to work properly.
I tried reconnecting it, rebooting my WIN10 PC. It sounds like it is scanning but I don't see the images?

The HP Photosmart C4200 added the directories, but nothing is showing in them.

C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Scans

START\ThisPC\Documents\My Scans

How do I get this to scan properly? Is there any Freeware software I can use that would work?
Last edited by BIGMAN131307 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: HP Photosmart C4200 Series issues

Post by Karlsweldt »

Can the unit do a copy feature? If so, then the unit is working properly, but likely a driver issue.
Found a link for HP support that recommends removing the device and drivers from your Win 10 setup, then installing new drivers and the unit. Hope it works.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-S ... -p/5199085
Also, the Adobe® PDF program can work with most printer/scanner models, and can convert most pages to a standard PDF file.
On the site page, there is an option to have the McAfee® security features. If you already have a similar AV/scan program, opt out of that addition. Two similar active programs can affect overall system performance.
https://get.adobe.com/reader/
[email protected] to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: HP Photosmart C4200 Series issues

Post by BIGMAN131307 »

Thanks,

The HP site has way too many "fixes". lol

But I did manage to stumble on a solution. To get it to scan I need to do the following:

Click: Start / Control Panel / Devices & Printers / RClick on HP Photosmart C4200 Series / Select scan

It opens up a new window where I need to import the scanned pages, etc. I just move them to were I want them. I
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: HP Photosmart C4200 Series issue [RESOLVED]

Post by Karlsweldt »

Good to hear all is working again. And maybe the same tip works for other users.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Post by BIGMAN131307 »

I hope so. :)

For some reason the scan controls on the HP Photosmart C4200 don't work. But the the copy works fine. :?

Well at least all three features work. :)
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Karlsweldt »

If you keep the printer on mains power all the time, possibly a 'blip' in the power mains have confused the controller. Unplug and wait about 15 seconds, then try again. Should be OK. Same applies to any electronic device with a memory controller.. any TV, microwave, coffee maker, security monitor, routers. Preferred that many devices be unplugged until needed. The power supplies in them are always on, few exceptions. Might save a few dollars per month on electric bills.