The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Failing system
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:55 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I have a system composed of a Supermicro X10SLLL+-F MB with a Xeon E3 1226 V3 3.30GHz, 2x8GB DDR3 @800MHz sticks and a Fractal Design Newton R3 600W PS.

Recently the video (on-board VGA) would periodically go out. Now it's mostly gone and the on-board NIC cannot be pinged from other hosts on the LAN. It's strange because when the video was available I could run a nmap scan and its IP would show; but again it was not pingable from other hosts.

I have no clue what to try to replace first. I have never experienced a problem like this. MB, PS ...?

Does anyone have suggestions? I would appreciate it.

Thanks Larry

Post subject: Re: Failing system
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:20 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Moved your post to a more appropriate topic folder.
First, check voltages at the main ATX power header. Any black lead is common to all. Voltages should be within 2% of rated, 1% is ideal. The -12 volt lead can be off by 3% and still be good. If the BIOS battery has not been changed in more than 2 years, may be time to do that. A weak battery can allow BIOS settings to wander. Check with a digital volt meter, any bare metal tab or ATX black lead is the negative, the battery top is positive. Should be 3 volts nominal. Do so with no power going into the PSU for at least 3 minutes.
If on-board video is going sour, could be the part of the CPU core reserved for video rendering. Might be a good idea to pull the heat sink from the CPU and refresh the thermal paste. Just a little dab is the key, spread on the CPU cap. Use alcohol or lighter fluid (Naptha) to remove all old paste. Dissipated power from that CPU is about 84 watts, does need good heat transfer to the cooling fan. Maybe some dust build up on it.. or the fan itself is not spinning as fast as it should, allowing excess temps in the CPU. The CPU has thermal limiters, which first slow data transfer, and can shut down the system if temps get too high.
Rare that the motherboard would have bad caps, but look over all the large ones for signs of bulging tops, excessive lean or leakage. More info on the 'bad caps' syndrome at http://www.badcaps.net/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:51 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Thanks for your help.

The PS checked out OK with PS tester. I used multimeter for CR2032 3.28.

If I do decide to get another motherboard, can you recommend one other than Supermicro which will accept the Xeon E3 1226 v3 3.30GHz (1150 socket) and the 2 sticks of Crucial 8GB DDR3L 1600 MHz UDIMMs?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:50 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

3.28 volts is a bit high for a CR2032 cell. 3 volts is nominal. Has to be tested under 'normal' load, otherwise a false reading.
The BIOS battery is a redundant backup for when no power enters the PSU, and the +5 volt stand-by powers BIOS and CMOS needs plus other features. Waiting 3 minutes after pulling the plug should drain all PSU reserves. Otherwise, pull the plug, try a few starts to quickly drain reserves. 10 µa to 20 µa is average current draw range.
Should be some good brands of motherboard that can support the Xeon CPU with socket FCLGA1150. Look for listings with the socket type. Has to be an Intel® design, is licensed to other brands. One issue may be the I/O port configuration, so you may need a new I/O port plate.
Some brands are Asus, Asrock, Biostar, EVGA, Gigabyte, Jetway, MSI. Don't be too shy of a 'refurbished' board, as long as it comes with a good warranty and possibly an RMA process. Check http://www.newegg.com/ for listings.