The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:17 am

Post subject: Replace system drive
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:12 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

When I built my PC (5 years ago), I used a SSD for my primary operating system. Today, it's kind of small (128 GB), and I'm starting to see a few dropouts when I look at it's condition. Additionally, the SSD market has dropped pricing. I'd like to replace my current SSD with a much larger one, and potentially use the old one for non-essential activities.

When I installed my operating system (Windows 10 X-64 Pro), I didn't get any DVDs with the system on it. Now, when I want to re-install it, I'm puzzled at how I go about it. I'd also like to know how to move all the stuff on the old system SSD to a new one without having to reinstall all the programs, etc.

Suggestions, laundry lists, how-to sites, etc.?

Post subject: Re: Replace system drive
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:13 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

You can download an ISO file from MS which is a bit over 3 GB when ready for install. Sort of a 'kit' to prepare a flash USB stick or DVD for the self-booting ISO setup.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
All you need is the valid license for the Win 10 OS in your name after that.
You will need a driver set specifically for that motherboard model too.
As to 'migrating' to the new drive, a cloning program such as Acronis Migrate Easy® from
https://www.acronis.com/en-us/pr/2005/pr05-19.html
If the OS is sound and trouble-free now, why do a reinstall? Just 'migrate' and avoid all those update patches.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:22 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Migration -

SSD is small (128 GB)
SSD has some dropouts, and I want to catch it before it goes belly-up
Also, don't discount the "I'm antsy, I want to do something..." factor

As long as I have you on the line, is it possible to open the MB, pull the Intel-I5, buy a replacement I7 and just drop it in, or is it one of those processor x must be married to MB version y things?

Old in Arizona

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:43 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Yes, 128 GB is a bit small for a hard drive these days. But SSD technology has improved performance, longevity and capacity. Up to 100 TB storage is now available, but generally a 500 GB is more than enough for most needs. Just ensure that the BIOS configuration can accept the drive's statistics. Or you may need to create a primary partition in keeping within the BIOS limitations. Windows will have no problems (or should not) with different hard drive/partition size, but likely not accept different system features.
As to upgrading the CPU in any motherboard, check with the provider's site as to compatibility from the QVL (qualified vendor list) for what can be used. Maybe a BIOS update will allow the newer CPU or memory type, but not always. Chipset design is a major issue too. A chipset cannot be changed or upgraded.
As to dropouts with any storage drive, a program such as Seagate Sea Tools® from
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/ can work on almost any hard drive type, and if minor problems can be masked, more life can be had from the drive. But any defects in the boot sector or FAT (file access tables) can spell doom for a hard drive.
SSD drives have no moving parts, but the memory lattice does have a limited life for energizing and blanking storage clusters.