The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:48 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

So, basically I am having this problem with a friend's computer. He told me that his computer was working great 2 months ago, and one day he decided to place his computer in another room. Before doing so, I must say that he had previous problems with beeps (looping beep and once the same with this one) and he seemed to be able to fix them by reseating the rams and the GPU. The GPU is also missing the VGA connector (he removed it because he broke it somehow but his computer was fine). So, yesterday I got a call from him that the computer was beeping (1 long 3 short) and his method of fixing didn't work. Things I tried to do to fix it.
1. Reseat GPU and RAM
2. Tried one RAM at a time
And still can't fix it. I can't check the components on other computers. The motherboard is a P5N E SLI and it has an AWARD BIOS. His computer is quite old, and his probably going to buy a new one, but in the meantimes he is going to stick with this one. Any ideas as to what the problem may seem? Also as I said, this all happened after moving the computer. There is no display on the screen as well if that helps, however.
Here are the specs of the computer :
CPU:Intel Core Duo E6750
Motherboard: P5N E SLI
Ram: 2x KVR667D2N5/1G and 2x KVR800D2N5/1G
SSD/HDD:wd3200aajs
GPU:210-1GD3-L
PSU:Codegen 400W (Model: 300xx
Chassis:TA-86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:56 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

1 long and 3 short beeps normally indicates the video memory field is not accessible. Could be bad memory on the video card, or the card is not seated properly. Or with high-performance cards, insufficient accessory power.
With the older PCI slot or the newer PCI-E slot, only one row of contacts need to mate. The AGP video card has two rows of contacts, and the card must be fully seated.. or problems arise. (Referring to the AGP style of card is only for other viewers on this topic.)
Check for any obstructions by the card slot, and that the card is fully seated. The main card body should almost contact the top of the slot. A bit of lintless cloth tissue dampened with a bit of medicinal alcohol can be used to clean the card contacts, and an old credit card with the tissue on its edge can be used to clean slot contacts. Never 'swipe' the slot contacts, only up and down!!
With memory, ensure that the same color slots have the same memory modules paired. Having different amounts in each bank of paired slots confuses the BIOS. The slower timed modules must be in the first-detected pair of slots. If faster memory is first detected, then the slower timed memory can have a lot of paging faults.
Any memory that is rated "value" grade (a "V" as part of its ID) has minimal tolerance for bus speed above its rating.
In the BIOS, ensure that the 'video aperture' is set to no more than 25% of total memory. With an on-board video setup, the upper portion of system memory is reserved for video needs. With a video card, this is a flexible buffer, not dedicated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:36 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Video card is perfectly seated, memory cards are placed the way they should be (the way you told me), but the system is still acts the same, tried 2 different video card slots, video card seems to be powered on on both of them. I am not reallt sure what is causing this problem, but it must be noted that by removing the cmos battery and/or the video cars the same beep code sequence can be heared.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:53 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Tried everything you tried, nothing worked. Seems like taking out the CMOS and/or the VIDEO card, the motherboard speaker makes the same sound if that helps

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:26 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Check the video card for a power socket on the inner edge. A lot of PCI-E video cards require extra power directly from the PSI, as the slot cannot provide all the needed current. High-end PCI-E cards typically have one or two power sockets on the top of the card covering.
A CMOS battery has a typical life of about 3 to 4 years, depending on use. It is only a backup power source for when no mains power enters the PSU. All other times, the PSU powers the CMOS and BIOS needs via the +5 volt stand-by source.
Maybe time to do some parts swapping. Test that video card in another system that is compatible, or use another video card in that system.
Also look over all the capacitors on the motherboard, if any are domed or show leakage, they are bad. More info about the 'bad caps' plague is available at http://www.badcaps.net/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:14 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

First and foremost, test with another power supply of a known good brand. Codegen, I never thought I'd see that name again, is a known cr*p manufacturer. There's a good chance a proper power supply will give the video card proper voltage and enough current to operate normally. However there is a chance that Codegen POS killed it off already.