The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: sound issue
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:56 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I use headphones for sound to keep from disturbing everyone when I play things loud. My headphones have worked just fine for 6 years (when I bought them), but suddenly, they don't work. I am running windows 10. the headphones are plugged into a jack on the front of my built-it-myself PC. Absolutely no sound comes out when I play a sound application - youtube, game, DVD in PC player, stored movie. When I unplug/replug into the port, I get a message about "you have unplugged" and "you have plugged in.." An application then opens, and it lets me select what I'm using, and does a quick test. I pick headphones, and the test does a stereo right-speaker/left-speaker test. This test works just fine.

Help!

Old in Arizona

Post subject: Re: sound issue
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:34 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

More info

Audio Driver version 6.0.1.6657

DirectX Version DirectX 11.0

Audio Controller HD Audio

Audio Codec ALC892

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:53 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Ensure the audio output to headphones is in ANALOG mode, not DIGITAL mode.
Same for all older PC speaker models that don't have the digital audio input feature.
Your test was done in analog mode, showing the headphones, wiring and audio system is OK.
Also ensure the speaker icon in the SysTray box does not show the 'mute' mode. Windows will sometimes mute the audio output for no reason!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:58 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Lower right corner, speaker icon in the tray, right-click, Volume Mixer, check the levels for the various applications.
Same way, check the playback devices to see if you selected one that is available in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:25 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

WOW!!! Thank you both!!!

When I tried to check the analog/digital setup, I couldn't find anything that said analog/digital, so I went to the second message. I opened the sound tray icon, and the devices (two total) had volume set max, so that wasn't it. Then I looked at the playback devices, and two were checked - a) speakers Realtek HD Audio default device; b) Realtek Digital Output (Optical). There were other devices listed, but those were the only two active. I didn't know what the digital(optical) device was, so I right clicked and disabled it (based on the info from the first response), and viola! sound works on everything.

I don't know how they both got turned on (I probably did it after a little too much vodka), but turning the digital "device" off fixed everything.

Thanks to both of you for helping me out.

Old in Arizona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:25 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

More or less standard, a left-click on the sound icon brings up just the volume control. But a right-click brings up an options menu. From there, open the "volume mixer" or so worded, and choose the path and desired result. Click on 'speakers' to see what mode the audio output is set to. Digital audio has no real power for speakers or headphones. Very low voltage level, so you need the output in analog form which provides a few millivolts and current to drive the headphone cones. Analog speakers require this output also.
Analog audio is limited to about 100 Hz to near 10KHz, and is subject to external interference. Digital audio is more or less immune to external interference, and has a wider bandwidth.. down to about 30 Hz and up to about 15K Hz with some models.
Any analog audio line is influenced by the nearby 50 Hz and 60 Hz electrical fields, and can induce bad hum.
http://www.klipsch.com/blog/digital-vs-analog-audio