The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Laptop Running Very Slow
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:21 am 
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

This laptop is creeping along and I have to wait probably 15 seconds to go from one website to another, its a dog.

What I Have:
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
2.5 year old Sager 15" laptop ($1900.)
CPU - Intel i7-4910MQ 2.90 Ghz 4 core 64 bit ready
Memory - 1 module 8192 mb
SSD - 500gb 397gb free #CT500BX100SSD1
BIOS - in UEFI secure boot
Graphics - Intel HD400 NVIDIA GTX950M
Screen Display - LED IPS non glossy

Anti Nasty Software Installed:
Malwarebytes Premium (pay)
Windows Defender (came with Windows 10 Pro operating system)
Ccleaner (free)
Super Anti Spyware (free)
Belarc Advisor

Internet Service:
AT&T U-verse Fiber Optics
Speakeasy Speed Test - 7.5 Mbps download 1.4 Mbps upload

MISC:
CPU Processes - 150
CPU Usage - 1%
Selective Start-up - 16 listed 5 running
Services - many listed. Have no idea what is what with these.

Malwarebytes is running in the background as is Windows defender. I am wondering if one or both of these is causing this issue. I ran FSecure Blacklight all OK, Ran Malwarebytes, Ccleaner, Windows Defender, Super Anti Spyware and all came back OK. Defragged this SSD and still this PC is slow as a snail.

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong and where I need to make some changes. Belarc Advisor is showing the CPU as 64 bit ready? does that mean its not 64 bit activated?

Unrelated

5 Days ago I made a New Years resolution to lose weight and not to drink beer any more. Last night I went out to an all you can eat buffet. I ate everything on display, had 3 beers. Today I went on the scale and gained 3 pounds. So much for resolutions.

Thanks all

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:51 am 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

What do AT&T say about their fiber speeds? 7.5Mbps and 1.4Mbps for fiber are really poor speeds!

Yet to some people I still know nothing...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:12 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Check with Task Manager as to how many background programs are active. Maybe too many "wanna know" searches are hogging the line.. weather, news, theater, social tid-bits. And constant checks for updates.
Cut back on the auto-launch excess features. Is the "cloud" service active? Cortana?

I have a Dell laptop with Win 10, was similarly slow with Wifi and LAN. Disabled several auto-search features, and gained speed! Laptop is basic, only a Celeron 1.8 with 8 MB RAM.
Do have 100 Mb/s CATV and Wifi. Down, avg. 20.5 Mb/s. Up, avg. 34.5 Mb/s. Depends on file type/size.
http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:36 pm 
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Mr T wrote:
What do AT&T say about their fiber speeds? 7.5Mbps and 1.4Mbps for fiber are really poor speeds!

The speeds I quoted are the standard speed offered. It goes up to 40. Mbps I do believe but you pay extra for that. The slowest speed offered is fine for my use.

I am comparing my fiber speed of 7.5 Mbps to that of what I had before in DSL of 6.0 which was still ok for me. I don't move large files or graphics intensive video so I am ok with the standard speed. For some reason things just seem bad since my community upgraded to fiber everything. My ipad gets disconnected regularly from my home network all the time and I have to re enter my password.

I have picked through the routers property page the best I could and don't recognize anything that should be changed. The channel is set to Automatic which is currently on channel 7 I think.

I do know Malwarebytes Premium is running in the background as is Windows Defender with the updates set to automatic. I understand that if the PC is downloading updates things can slow down but after that's finished things pick up but still its to slow IMO. I am sure there is no nasty's on this laptop. My concerned about the things that are listed on the Task Managers Page under the Services tab? Just don't know much about what to enable, disable or delete.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:49 pm 
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Karlsweldt wrote:
Check with Task Manager as to how many background programs are active. Maybe too many "wanna know" searches are hogging the line.. weather, news, theater, social tid-bits. And constant checks for updates.
Cut back on the auto-launch excess features. Is the "cloud" service active? Cortana?

I have a Dell laptop with Win 10, was similarly slow with Wifi and LAN. Disabled several auto-search features, and gained speed! Laptop is basic, only a Celeron 1.8 with 8 MB RAM.
Do have 100 Mb/s CATV and Wifi. Down, avg. 20.5 Mb/s. Up, avg. 34.5 Mb/s. Depends on file type/size.
http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/

I don't use the Cloud or Cortana ??????? Going to disable Cortana and look into the Cloud to see whats going on. Good point....I will look into those hogging the line with services, updates auto-search features. Thanks. I think for $10. more per month I can get 20 Mbps fiber and for $20. more per month get 40.0 Mbps but I really don't need it. Its just for home use no business involved here.

Thanks........It was 26 degrees last night in Saint Augustine Florida and zero on Staten Island in New York City. It snowed slightly a few days ago in Jacksonville Florida :}

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:10 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Quote:
....It was 26 degrees last night in Saint Augustine Florida and zero on Staten Island in New York City. It snowed slightly a few days ago in Jacksonville Florida :

Southern states are not used to such cold temperatures and snow! Likely will affect the citrus crops and cause price increases.
Some southern parts of Texas even got snow.. a rare event!
First noted on that Win 10 laptop, the large desktop shortcuts were not all static. Several were active, updating with news, weather, social events and such! Real waste of bandwidth. "Cloud" services were active, but not logged into. No want of that feature. My data and personal info is more secure in my own pocket!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:28 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

is the slowness in general so also when you open different programs? is it when you switch between tabs in your internet browser? any difference between sites? has it gradually deteriorated or from one day to the next it started?