Flickering screen

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Flickering screen

Postby benji1985 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:43 am

Hello all, I am new to this forum, I have a strange issue of which I am leaning towards the intel graphics chip.
So what is happening is the screen starts to flicker, and by this i mean that there is a duplicate part of the screen phased up.
This issue stops once the HDMI cable is plugged in and if the intel graphics card is disabled via the device manager and only starts after about 5 mins.
I have reinstalled windows 10, this had no effect, so i thought i would try and install an older windows (8.1) this ran great, thus i am really confused.
Timeline:
flickering started
re-installed windows 10 (no difference)
disabled device (stopped the flicker)
reinstalled the drivers (no difference)
took laptop apart to get pics of motherboard
installed windows 8.1 (no flicker as of yet)

The laptop is a Medion MD98748 P7631

IF anyone could shed some light on this that would be great, equally if it is the motherboard and someone has one they are willing to sell that would be good too.

Thank you

Ben
Attachments
20171121_115146.jpg
laptop motherboard
20171121_115146.jpg (182.62 KiB) Viewed 32 times
benji1985
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Flickering screen

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:35 am

Windows has a fault where it wants to optimize every feature. As to video, likely the refresh rate is beyond what the screen is limited to. Try a lower refresh rate, lower resolution. You should be able to get at least 72 Hz refresh rate, 1280x800 as a base.
Older screens may not get to that upper limit. A problem known as 'over-scan' can happen if the screen shows more than one complete image.. such as tearing or another partial image. This can damage the GPU.
Ensure drivers for the features are compatible with the WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Lab) standards for Windows.. from the original source or Microsoft®, not third-party.
With on-board video systems, a portion of main memory at the top is dedicated to video needs. Best not to go beyond 25% of total system memory, otherwise the OS may have problems loading files for its needs. 512 MB is a common limit, unless in need of gaming or rendering needs. Unless a high-end video setup, more memory for it is not better.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby benji1985 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:42 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Windows has a fault where it wants to optimize every feature. As to video, likely the refresh rate is beyond what the screen is limited to. Try a lower refresh rate, lower resolution. You should be able to get at least 72 Hz refresh rate, 1280x800 as a base.
Older screens may not get to that upper limit. A problem known as 'over-scan' can happen if the screen shows more than one complete image.. such as tearing or another partial image. This can damage the GPU.
Ensure drivers for the features are compatible with the WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Lab) standards for Windows.. from the original source or Microsoft®, not third-party.
With on-board video systems, a portion of main memory at the top is dedicated to video needs. Best not to go beyond 25% of total system memory, otherwise the OS may have problems loading files for its needs. 512 MB is a common limit, unless in need of gaming or rendering needs. Unless a high-end video setup, more memory for it is not better.

Thank you for your reply, the screen is running at 1600x900 (recommended).
for a turn of events, since i put the laptop back together and ran windows 8.1 without any issues, i decided to put the windows 10 drive back in, this has been running all day without an issue, the motherboard did come out however the cable linking the screen to the board was not disconnected, i am wondering if that cable could be the fault?

Ben
benji1985
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:51 am

The data/power ribbon that links a laptop screen with the main board is subject to a lot of abuse. But it is designed for a harsh life. The common failure is a break in one of the copper traces, which may cause a no video or extreme warping of the image. Not easy to replace if faulty. But do check that the clamp connector at the main board has it inserted and secured properly. A tab at each end of the connector can be lifted to release the ribbon end, but treat it gently. The ribbon end should be fully seated in that connector.
I would pass on the ribbon causing any problems. Instead, look to drivers or software. No issues with other OS versions? Suspect improper settings.
Then too, if the refresh rate is 60 Hz and you have 60 Hz AC fluorescent lights nearby, they can cause a flickering or shimmering effect.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:41 am

If it stops when you run the display out to an external monitor and looks fine on the external monitor, it could be one of two things - mis detection of the graphics chip by windows 10 so it puts out a wrong refresh rate onto the laptop display (try uninstalling and reinstalling the gpu and monitor) - the other thing is a duff cable from main board to screen. The duff cable is really common as it can easily get pinched and cause a bad contact.
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby benji1985 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:21 am

Thank you all for you replies, I suspect it was the cable not seated right and taking it apart has put it back correctly.
I will monitor (excuse the pun) it.

Thank you

Ben
benji1985
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Return to Tech Support