blue screen of death

Get your PC tech problems solved here. Quick response time.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

blue screen of death

Postby gloege » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:54 pm

having issues hdd freezing

error: the divice 'ata channel 1' (pciide\idechannel\5&83446f&0&1) dissappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.
and also 0
and i get ahci failed

and

Image\
JUST CLICK VIEW IMAGE TO SEE THE WHOLE THING!!!

Can anyone make sense of this blue screen been having issues with at least one of the bridges on my motherboard and asus says it fine could it be my hot swap ports i get issues with vid card and external hard drives not just internal but ram and cpu fine

Could it be i set my page file too high
gloege
Initiate
Initiate

Re: blue screen of death

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:52 am

Check the "power management" status from the Control Panel. Also in the BIOS pages. Maybe the settings are for power-saving, turning off the hard drive(s) after only a minute or two of no access. It is best a hard drive not get frequent on-off cycles, as this can cause premature failure. For laptops, a different story.. extend power time. And the moving mass of a laptop drive is much less than a standard hard drive, so faster spin-up time.
Normally, a permanently mounted hard drive of the SATA class does not need the hot-swap 3.3 volt source for power. But for removable (hot-swap) drives, yes.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby gloege » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:02 am

So you are saying the hot swap drive ports are to much voltage. I was going to pin it on the vid card damaging the south bridge and pcie slot. Got a new vid card because it started banding issues where my 670 did not. The first motherboard had a dead pcie slot. But ram suffered so did psu and an ssd(all died). Could have been the evga gs 550 took the vid card out half way making it damage the new board, but i was useing a cpu that had a missing grounder pin As the hdd is being accessed when it freezes and i got video proof that a simple game took over 3 mins to load before i gave up
gloege
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:20 am

SATA hard drives have a +12 volt, +5 volt and +3.3 volt pin on the power connector. The +3.3 volt connection is optional if the drive is not part of a hot swap feature. Regular 3.5" drives have only a +12 volt and +5 volt need. Laptop hard drives have need of only the +5 volt source, but the SATA version is identical to the standard 3.5 inch SATA for power connections.
The power draw by any hard drive is near constant, never drawing too much unless there is a mechanical or circuit failure of the drive. Unlikely the video card would damage any circuits, unless there was a short-circuit or bad component in the power source that allowed higher than design voltages into the IC chip or circuitry.
A PSU should be of a quality brand, at least 25% higher rating than overall system needs. This avoids surges or ripple to sensitive circuits.
Heat is the worst enemy of any electronics. The CPU has thermal sensors and can either retard its processing speed or shut down the system if limits are exceeded.
A high-end video card that displays gibberish indicates it is having heat problems. Maybe nearing failure. Most likely cause of overheating in a computer is lack of proper air flow. The desired ratio is 1.5:1, input to exhaust.
If a CPU has a 'missing' pin, check the specs sheet to verify if it is a locating key or should be present. Modern CPU models have many more pins than just for data needs. Several set the system FSB, base clock speed, and voltage needs of the CPU. And the memory controller is on the CPU die, not part of the North Bridge chipset. Lower memory supply voltages are present, and if a memory module is not rated for that lower voltage, can cause paging problems.. and possible BSOD results.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby gloege » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:09 am

Well lets oust it a heat issue. Now we have the vid cards reputation and place i bought it. I seem to be starting to distrust newegg and the fact that the evga 980 ftw i bought was brought down in price due to the line up having defects. Then again it could have been the hot swap ports, the first board, or the psu. Something along the way. But my first two boards were asrock 990fx fatality boards and there reputation was not up to par, then again price was, but two of them failed on a new evga gs 550 gold psu, though the asus motherboard took six months to start acting up. All my parts are new exception of the motherboard and a 120gb ssd.

My set up:
Everything is stock
Corsair carbide air 540
Phenom 2 1045t
Asus 990fx pro r2.0 motherboard
Gskill 1333 ddr3 ripjaws
Evga g2 550 gold
Evga 980 ftw
4 fans
Mushkin 480 ssd and 120 ssd for pagefile
Toshiba p300 3tb hdd
Arctic mx4 paste
Last edited by gloege on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
gloege
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:35 pm

Similar issue with an Nvidia GTX 960 on system I built when starting any games. PSU was a no name 700w. Replaced it with a Corsair 750w and the problem went away. Graphics cards at that level are power hungry - 980 should draw 170w, and the recommended PSU is 500w, which is the bare minimum when you take into account other items in the system such as motherboard, CPU cooling and the like. Try reproducing the fault on a low powered graphics card if you have one to hand. Having a weak, low powered or name power supply in a mid to high end system is akin to putting a lawn mower engine in a sports car and expecting sports performance...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby gloege » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:43 pm

but it happening on just file transfer game load screens and evga said i should be good after building pcs for 10 years i kinda have a knack for the knowledge i gained i even troubleshoot pcs like the pros so i am guessing the motherboard is dying either from the faulty evga psu or the evga 980 or the cpu that had a missing pin all been replaced cause i get the same issues with a galaxy 430gt
gloege
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Tech Support